norcold 1200 LRIM

Old 08-01-12, 03:30 PM
norcold 1200 LRIM

I have a double door norcold refrigerator in a 2005 motor home.I am having a cooling problem.Everything seems to be working OK but I can't get it below 48 degrees in the fresh box.When driving using gas it has got up to 60 degrees.The freezer gets cold enough to make ice.I have checked to see if the burner is lit outside when on propane and it is.When on Electric the fans are running.This is when temperature outside is 85 to 95 degrees but even on a cool day I am lucky to get it to 40 degrees.This is turned all the way up on 9.The unit has never been cold enough but I thought it was normal until this year I seen someone with the same unit running 38 degrees.It was 95 outside.Norcold told me it should not get past 44 degrees. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can check.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-12, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
The first thing you need to consider is that when comparing someone else's fridge temperature you need to also compare what is in each fridge and how it is loaded and how often you open the door.
Even if your food is pre-cooled the volume and type of food will affect the temperature.
Another thing that can affect the temperature is the enclosure it is mounted in.
A warmer space at the back of the fridge will affect it's operation.

A dirty burner tube or bad flame could affect temperature but if it's the same on electric it could very well be operating normally.

44 degF is not that cold but is still at the high end of proper short term storage temps.
I have an Dometic fridge in my truck camper and it behaves in a similar manner as yours.
For beverages that we like very cold or for food on longer expeditions we have a larger cooler that we have at least half filled with ice.

Old 08-02-12, 03:32 PM
temp to high

I have checked all the situations you are speaking of.Wright now the unit is empty ,been on for three days and the temp is 50 degrees .On Gas and driving down the with the burner on the temp goes even higher while in motion.I would be ok with a 44 degrees on temporary hot days but what I have is to often.

Old 08-02-12, 08:46 PM
Norcold 1200LRIM Problems with Temp

We have a 2003 Norcold 1200LRIM also. We have seen the temperature gradually get higher and higher over the last couple of years. We now have it on the highest setting and the temps are in the mid 40's to mid 50's. We do live in the Dallas area and the temps are over 100 F every day, but we have been there before and the temps are typically in the upper 30's to low 40's.

We now have it at Camping World trying to get it fixed before we leave on an extended trip. It would not change over to gas and they have fixed that, then it would turn off gas and not go back, they fixed that. I went to pick it up today and the inside temps were in the mid 50's on the highest setting.

We did find out that you can put a fan in the back move the hot air out, but I do not believe this will help that much. We will see what Norcold says, but the food safety folks say your temp should never go over 40F. Norcold or someone needs to figure out what is going on! We have insurance and are hoping Camping World will just change it out. We are planning to leave in a week for an extended trip and need the frig working! Any ideas?

Old 08-03-12, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator
The bottom line with absorption type cooling units is that if the heat sources are working properly and the rear area is not overheated there is nothing you can do.
The cooling units are quite simple but are sealed and short of a factory overhaul are non repairable in the field.

I have however heard about performing witchcraft on these fridges!
There is a belief by some if that you remove the fridge, turn it over, shake it then let it sit for 24 hours it might work.
The theory is that you might free up an internal check valve that some have or assist the ammonia in recombining with the water that is in the chemical mixture.
What else can happen is that the poor performance could be caused by internal corrosion that is blocking the passageways which could either be unblocked or made worse by inversion.

I've tried inverting and shaking a small household bar fridge that was the absorption type and did see some improvement in operation but it was short lived.

Old 08-03-12, 04:05 PM
Household refrigerator

can anyone tell me if I switched to a house refrigerator if a 1000 Watt inverter would operate it .

Old 08-04-12, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Not likely.
Even the smallest refrigerator on start-up would likely overload the inverter......2000 watts would probably be a better choice.
Also, because of the high current draw on the battery when the fridge is in use it would only be practical to use when the camper is plugged in.