Trailer Hubs and axle

Old 08-20-12, 01:14 PM
Trailer Hubs and axle

I have a home made utility trailer that I am restoring. While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the deck and rails, I thought I would re pack the four wheel bearings in the two hubs on each end of the single axle. I found that one of the hubs was aluminum and was cracked. The other hub was cast iron and sound. I have tried to replace the cracked onelocally to no avail. The hub has four lug studs with 3/8" id nuts. The other one has 1/2" id lug nuts. I thought I would just replace both of them, but anything available here is more than the exact 4" from edge to edge on the tunnel the bearings ride in. That makes the inside bearing hit the non machined end of the axle do the castle nut will not even start on the threaded end to hold it all together. My local trailer supply says I will need to get a new replacement axle that is machined to take the newer hubs. They want to sell me 5 lug hubs too. Am I out of luck finding two hubs that will fit on my present axle? The axle is 64" long. It has EXACTLY 3" of machined surface for the bearings to slide onto each end. I need 4 lug hubs with 4" on center of the lugs with EXACTLY 4" on the hub tunnel from end to end. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-12, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
You may want to venture beyond your "local trailer supply".

It is possible that the style of hub is older but there should be no problem finding a replacement.
You will just have to look further that what you have.

Replacing your axle however is not that far of a stretch.
If you only have four studs then you likely have a 2000 lb capacity axle.
Where I am hubs for those go for about $60.00 each but an axle with hubs sometimes go for under $150.00 on sale.
As long as the spring centers and mounting are the same replacing the axle is a better move.

You likely will have to replace the u-bolts unless you have a torch but they are not that expensive.

Old 08-21-12, 10:03 AM
Trailer Hubs

Well it seems that I need to venture out a little further still, as I have been to 3 auto parts outlets, two trailer supply companies, and now I am at a loss as to who to contact. I would prefer to not buy parts made in China, (both trailer supply companies were selling those, but even those were not the size that I needed) So I guess I am doing a google search, unless you can give me a lead for a manufacturer that you use. (this axle is is great shape, I hate to replace it if I don't have to)

Old 08-21-12, 11:38 AM
Trailer Hubs

You can delete that last transmission. I found an outfit in Delaware that specializes in trailer parts. (Mostly American Made hub. 4.06" 4 bolt. specs were all right there.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction!