1991 Ford Ranger xlt - Shocks

Old 09-17-12, 07:25 AM
1991 Ford Ranger xlt - Shocks

I have '91 Ford Ranger XLT, 4cyl, 5 speed, RWD. I'm using my "Beater Truck" mainly to take brush/grass, etc. to the local Composting center. Once in a while I use it to haul top soil or decorative stone. It appears that I can only load about a half ton before it bottoms out. I know the shocks are old, however, can I replace them with some "heavy-duty" shocks, and any type better than others? My son-in-law suggested air shocks, but I don't have the first clue what that would entail. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 07:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes you can replace them with a heavier duty shock. It's also possible to get a coil over the shock set up that will stiffen it up even more. Personally I wouldn't bother with air shocks on a truck that isn't used a lot.

Old 09-17-12, 08:03 AM
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Old 09-17-12, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
I'm showing the curb weight as 3128 # and the gross weight as 4420 # which leaves you only 1292 # for passengers and payload. I think you're done where you are as far as payload.

Old 09-17-12, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I assumed it was just a 1/2 ton truck but I've overloaded more than one old ford truck. As long as you don't go crazy you can get by with it every now and again