2000 F-150 ABS light on

Old 10-07-12, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
2000 F-150 ABS light on

After a recent hard rain, the next time I used the truck, the ABS light came on when the engine was started. Hoping it would go back out after a few uses of the truck, I let it go for a couple of weeks. Still the light has not gone out. Brakes seem fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-12, 06:11 PM
Do you have two or four wheel antilock? Look at the inside of the front hubs and see if there is wiring going to them. If so you have four wheel abs. You may have gotten some moisture in one of the connectors which could be causing it so check both connectors. On the rear there should only be one sensor that is located in the rear axle housing. Same thing there with checking for moisture. The hand held scanner Autozone now uses can check for ABS codes so they could tell you if it is a wheel sensor causing the issue and if so which wheel.

Getting the lamp out may be a different issue. On a 2000 you may be able to disconnect the battery for awhile but I am not sure.

Old 10-16-12, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe it is 4 wheel ABS but I'm not positive so I'll check. Thanks for the info on Autozone. I'll swing by there & let them throw the scanner on it.

Old 10-16-12, 08:33 PM
I used to work there (key words used to). Don't let them tell you they can't because alot of them are too lazy to do it but I know that all stores were required to start using the new machine.

Old 10-16-12, 11:16 PM
I don't have any idea with your specific vehicle but on some the ABS light will come on if the master cylinder is low on fluid and IF I remember correctly some need to be manually reset if one side of the master cylinder goes low.

Old 10-17-12, 05:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As Furd says, the shuttle in the MC can go to one side and must be reset if it gets too low. Autozone may be able to do Fords, but Dodge has to go back to the dealer, and then they can only tell you that it is "broke". Mine was the ABS module under the hood. It is VIN specific, so a replacement won't work. You may have to get the thing rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder and reinstall it. Hope it is just a moisture thing.
Let us know what AZ has to say.

Old 10-17-12, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The first thing I thought of was low fluid in the master cylinder but, no such luck. Fluid level is fine.
I'll get by AZ this weekend.