Brake Problem

Old 10-10-12, 08:32 AM
Brake Problem

Another day, another problem.

Sarted the truck this morning and the brake pedal went to the floor. I tried to check the fluid level in the plastic reservoir but it has black marks, on the inside,, so it's hard to see what the level is.

I don't know if it needs fluid or new pads. I did not see any panel lights indicating a brake issue.

I don't have anyone around that can bleed the brakes or check the pads.

So I guess I'm looking at a tow job to my manchanic?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-12, 09:25 AM
Not knowing the history (or type of truck it is), I would have to guess you have a leak somewhere.
This is under the assumption that the brakes where fine when you last drove this truck (recently).

Old 10-10-12, 09:55 AM
It's a old faithful 99 Dodge Dakota. Hasn't given me much trouble over the years. Don't even have 50,000 on it. My long distant driving stopped about a year after buying it. Now it's just fight the local traffic.

I drove it a few days ago and felt something was off but didn't give it much thought, thinking back I think it was the brake pedal.

Anyway, since I have free towing with my ins co (waiting tow as I type), I'll have my machanic give it an overall checkup.

Last edited by Jo Ann; 10-10-12 at 09:57 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-10-12, 02:09 PM
master cylinder. ........................

Old 10-10-12, 04:13 PM
I guess I'll find out soon enough. Noticed some kind of fluid on the driveway when they towed it away.

Old 10-11-12, 01:01 PM
Turned out to be a rusted out pipe line causing fluid to leak out.

Old 10-12-12, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I figured it was a leak somewhere. I don't know how close you get to the beach with your truck but it's a good idea to take a hose and rinse off the bottom side after you do. Sea salt is just as corrosive as road salt

Old 10-12-12, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
I was going to ask the other day when I saw the thread whether or not the car had a northern history. We see lots of rusted out cars down here, but about 99% of them saw at least one winter in the salty slush up north. Brake lines are a common failure point. I hope you had them replace the other ones at the same time. A lot of garages I deal with refuse to replace only one brake line when it's a case of rust-out because of liability issues.

Old 10-12-12, 04:22 PM
Thanks eveyone for your input. No, old Besty has never been out of Fl. No beach trips either. Guess it's just old age wear and tear, like the owner.

I have a great mechanic that doesn't take advantage of any problem.

Got the truck back today so I'm ready to roll. Look out Walmart, here I come.