24 volt system question

Old 10-17-12, 03:05 PM
24 volt system question

So I have this big armored vehicle that I spend a lot of time in. I want to put a 120 volt converter so I can charge some small electronics. It has a 24 volt system, like some RV's, boats ect. It has two separate battery banks, with two 12 volt 6tn batteries each connected in series, not parallel. The batteries are inside the vehicle so I would be connecting the converter directly to them. SO the question is-

Can I connect a 12 volt DC-120 volt AC converter to the first battery? Or for some reason do I have to get a 24 volt DC-120 volt AC unit? The first would make more sense to me see as how its a 12 volt battery. But I'm not an expert or anything, and AUTO zone and O'rielly's has been less than helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-12, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
In a word , yes. . .

Old 10-17-12, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Like goldstar said in a word....yes.
BUT
if you do use a 12 volt inverter in that system you'll need to disconnect it from the battery when cranking if that is one of the starting battery banks. Based on battery age and characteristics the battery voltage can fluctuate and you could end up drawing starting current thru that unit. If you're looking to pick up a new unit get a Power Bright. I've used them with good results. They make a 24vdc input model.Pretty reasonable...check it out.ML400-24 - Power Bright 400 Watt 24 Volt Power Inverter - DonRowe.com

Old 10-20-12, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You spend a lot of time in this armored vehicle???? OK. I'm not even going to ask why.