Replacement pressure regulator will not work with original braided fuel line

Old 10-21-12, 07:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Replacement pressure regulator will not work with original braided fuel line

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. I'd like to replace the fuel pressure regulator. If you click on the link below, there are photos. The replacement part for my make/model will no longer mate with the original stainless steel braided fuel line in the photo. The new part has no thread to screw onto the braided fuel line.

So that means I would have to replace the braided fuel line with rubber fuel hose. The other photo shows what appears to be fuel line connectors with 'ring' line circular objects below the thin copper tubing. When I replace with rubber fuel line, do I eliminate those metal connectors thing altogether, and just string rubber fuel line from pressure regulator to where the metal fuel line starts in lower engine compartment?

Attached Images   

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 10-21-12 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I don't see a link in your post.

Old 10-21-12, 11:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The steel braided line is used due to high (+/- 40 lbs) fuel pressure and protection from hot parts. I've replaced those exact regulators before and they've always come with a threaded fitting. I see by looking online there are several different "exact" replacements for that regulator. If you have to modify your vehicle then they are not exact. The exact part is available for your vehicle. Ford shows it still available also. I left you a link to a placed that shows several available.

1992 FORD RANGER Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator

Old 10-22-12, 07:05 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hey PJMax,

Your response was very helpful. I knew I had a legitimate concern. Why would I want to replace the steel braided hose with plain old substandard rubber fuel hose? Like you said, there is a reason the braided hose was used in the first place. After all, we are talking about a flammable substance and a hot engine!

But I double checked with NAPA and O'Reilly parts. They did get the correct part number when they entered my make/model specs. This is simply all they sell for replacement. Perhaps, to make it more universal with a wider range of vehicle makes and models?

I'm glad someone still sells the regulator with threads, as opposed to the nipple w/clamp style. I looked at the link. Can you tell what part# you were referring to?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: