Lubrication perambulation

Old 10-31-12, 06:47 PM
Lubrication perambulation

Yeah, I'm spending a lot of time trying to find the specified lubricants for my 1994 Nissan 4x4 pickup manual transmission. According to my Chilton's manual I need:
  • Manual transmission: API GL-4 SAE 75W-90 or 80-W-90, which I can't find.
  • Differentials: Hypoid Gear Oil API GL-5 SAE 80W-90, which I can't find - in fact nobody knows what "hypoid" means or why they don't carry it.
  • Transfer case: DEXRON II ATF, which I can't find and nobody knows what it is.

This is after visits to WalMart, AutoZone, and PepBoys.

Should I just keep looking or is there some simple chart showing equivalent then-and-now gear oil and ATF designations that I haven't found yet?

To make it even more confusing, my Haynes manual says 10W-40 for the manual transmission and differential oils, which must be a mistake?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-12, 04:02 AM
Group Moderator
I'll let someone else attack the gear oil questions, but for the transfer case, just use Dexron III; same stuff, newer formulation.

Here's some reading on gear oils:

Gear oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spiral bevel gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-01-12, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think most any 80w90 gear oil would work fine for the gear box and differentials. Don't have a clue about the transfer case, I thought Dextron and ATF were 2 separate types of automatic transmission oil.

Old 11-01-12, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
Dexron is ATF. Mark, you may be confusing "ATF" with Type-F transmission fluid.

I was going to offer the same opinion on gear oils, but held off. Especially on a vehicle pushing 20 years old. I doubt any slight differences in specs would matter much. I'm sure I have a different spec gear oil in the differential of the wrecker ('94 - 623,000 miles) than originally specified.

I would be a little surprised to find motor oil (10w-40) in a gear application.

Old 11-01-12, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the clarification TG

I would be a little surprised to find motor oil (10w-40) in a gear application.
Me too! I would guess that it was a misprint.

Old 11-02-12, 08:29 AM
I've actually called the dealer parts desk before, with questions like this. I tell them what I need, let them look up the parts/fluids, and ask for a description or part number, and the price. A couple of times the dealer has actually been cheaper.

Old 11-03-12, 07:10 AM
Just for information I ran into a Dodge that used motor oil in a std trans. Im guessing it was around a 53. I know I did a lot of cross checking as I couldn't believe it.

Old 11-03-12, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
That may have been common back in the stone ages or maybe a Dodge thing in the 50's; I don't go back quite that far, but everything I've ever owned (earliest, '64 Buick Special) have used gear oil.

Old 11-03-12, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know about Dodge but my 51 F1 uses gear oil in the diff and gear box. Same thing with my 1953 NAA. Unless I'm mistaken all the N tractors use gear oil with a common sump for the gear, hydraulics and rear gear.

Old 11-03-12, 05:12 PM
Mark do a little research on the Ford trac. I cant quite pull all the cobwebs back but some of the fords did have a common sump, then they seperated them. And the guys were checking the little dipstick thinking they were OK and they werent.

And tow thats the trouble with you kids all you know about is cell phones and video games.

Old 11-03-12, 06:25 PM
Interestingly, this rings a bell. I told a guy at parts store, I need hypoid gear oil, and he thought I am loonie immigrant.

Hypoid gears
Hypoid spiral bevel gears

A hypoid is a type of spiral bevel gear whose axis does not intersect with the axis of the meshing gear. The shape of a hypoid gear is a revolved hyperboloid (that is, the pitch surface of the hypoid gear is a hyperbolic surface), whereas the shape of a spiral bevel gear is normally conical. The hypoid gear places the pinion off-axis to the crown wheel (ring gear) which allows the pinion to be larger in diameter and have more contact area. In hypoid gear design, the pinion and gear are practically always of opposite hand, and the spiral angle of the pinion is usually larger than that of the gear. The hypoid pinion is then larger in diameter than an equivalent bevel pinion.

A hypoid gear incorporates some sliding and can be considered halfway between a straight-cut gear and a worm gear. Special gear oils are required for hypoid gears because the sliding action requires effective lubrication under extreme pressure between the teeth.

Hypoid gearings are used in power transmission products that are more efficient than conventional worm gearing.[citation needed] They are considerably stronger in that any load is conveyed through multiple teeth simultaneously. By contrast, bevel gears are loaded through one tooth at a time. The multiple contacts of hypoid gearing, with proper lubrication, can be nearly silent, as well.

I simply use Amsoil hypoid oil. Never needs to be changed and fits all the great Japanese requirements for Hondas, Toyotas, and Lexi.
Also, they nowadays have ATFs that match any Asian make requirement. There's one for Honda, one for Toyota, no doubt, there's one for Nissan. I know Honda's is light purple can. Same goes for coolants. Pike I believe has coolant that can be mixed with ANY factory coolant. Has guarantee written right on the can.

Old 11-03-12, 06:45 PM
Just FYI here are the recommendations I've gotten from some older Nissan and other Japanese truck owners on other lists.

For the manual transmission: Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4. Lots of cautions against GL-5 in the transmission and there are very few companies that make GL-4 any more. Some Valvoline gear oils say GL-4 or GL-5, but using anything with GL-5 on the label will "destroy the transmission" I'm being told.

Any GL-5 75W-90 or 80W-90 gear oil for the differentials.

DEXRON III ATF for the transfer case.

Old 11-04-12, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
retired wrench - it's my understanding that all the N tractors thru 1952 have the common sump. The NAA came out in 53 and has 3 separate sumps with the hydraulic sump having the dipstick. I've had my NAA for 20+ yrs and know a good bit about it but only have a passing knowledge of the older Ns.

suobs - what reasons did they give for the newer gear oil destroying the transmission?

Old 11-04-12, 06:34 AM
Didnt mean to insult your intelligence,just didnt want to see someone get in trouble. As we discuss this the fog is clearing. When they went to the live hyd on the "Golden Jubilee" they seperated them. Had a customer that made this mistake and I still remember the expensive jewelry I put in the rear end.

Old 11-04-12, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Allis Chalmers of that vintage also used a common sump. Used to run an old CA model at the stables we kept horses.

Old 11-04-12, 10:09 AM
suobs - what reasons did they give for the newer gear oil destroying the transmission?

No reason given, I assumed experience judging from talk about "notchiness" in transmission with inferior products.

Hey did some messages get posted to the wrong thread there?

Old 11-04-12, 05:58 PM
Gear lube has gone to hell ever since they took the whale oil out.

Old 11-04-12, 06:48 PM
Apparently the use of motor oil in non-engine applications was based on a requirement from one of the large police departments, which must have thought poorly of their mechanics to the point they felt it was necessary for one fluid for both filler tubes. The requirement lasted for a long time, and Chrysler was able to fulfill this requirement after Ford and GM had stopped, which sold a lot of Chrysler patrol cars...

Old 11-05-12, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey did some messages get posted to the wrong thread there?
Naw, we just got side tracked