Trailer Lugnuts

Old 11-08-12, 02:53 PM
Trailer Lugnuts

I am trying to remove rusted bolts off a utility trailer rim. Every time I apply torque the rim slips/spins. There is no tire on it and I cant seem to get it to grip on anything Ive attempted to block it with. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by Ciskman; 11-08-12 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums!

Are you able to thread a bar between the lug nuts, the center hub and the ground.
You should be able to put the end on the ground and turn an opposite nut against the bar.

Make sure you use a good fitting six point socket so you don't strip the head.

Old 11-08-12, 04:05 PM
good idea. I dont think it will work with the way the nuts are recessed compared to the hub though. But maybe I can jerry rig something with that idea in mind. Thanks!

Old 11-08-12, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Jam a tire in the correct orientation to loosen the lugnuts. Slam it in there and smack it with a sledge a few times.

Careful with the lugs...older stuff may be LH threaded. A few shots of penetrating oil, tapping with a hammer, and letting sit for a day may help.

Old 11-08-12, 08:43 PM
Buy,rent, borrow an electric impact wrench.
Mike

Old 11-10-12, 08:46 AM
Also, position the trailer so that it can be on the ground, wheel embedded in something like dirt. If it's real bad, make it mud, lower the wheel into the mud, and let it become dirt again. And use air.

Curiously, how old is the trailer? Up into the seventies, some vehicles had left-hand-thread lugs on one side so that the lug nuts wouldn't back off, they spin off opposite of what one normally expects. Tire shops still break lugs off occasionally.

Old 11-10-12, 09:03 AM
A good way is to use two sets of wrenches. A lot of times we don't have the pair, but if you do, you can turn one while the other is blocked against the ground/floor.

For the last nut, you can prop the end of the breaker bar of the first wrench against the floor to hold the rim from turning while you break loose the other.

Definitely, though, use the penetrating oil first. PT Blaster

Old 11-10-12, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
I think Marbobj means PB Blaster?