1998 dodge diesel 24 valve has no throttle responce when cold

Old 11-25-12, 07:14 PM
1998 dodge diesel 24 valve has no throttle responce when cold

My 1998 dodge 3500 pickup with 24 valves usually sits in a heated shop and then runs fine, also runs fine during the summer. If it is left out when the temp get down around to about 20 degrees or colder, it starts fine but has no throttle response until it warms up for about 30 minutes. Sometimes it has a very slow throttle response or goes to a very fast engine speed, but usually just does nothing until it completly warms up. Draining the filter housing and installing a new filter has not helped. It has about 104,000 miles on it. If it the throttle positioning sensor it seems odd that the temperature changes it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you using your block heater? It helps to have the oil a little loose, but it shouldn't be responsible for the throttle action. It seems to boil down to the TPS, which is ornery at best. I'm due for one shortly, and I dread it. My 2001 only has 415,000 on it, darn. Do your lights dim and brighten while it is warming up? If not, then you may have defective grid heaters on the intake. Not a bad fix, but it takes the grids to heat up the fuel for it efficiently burn it. The constant brightening and dimming of the headlights is indicative of the system working properly, as it draws a ton and half of power from the batteries until it warms up.

Old 11-25-12, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
My 2001 only has 415,000 on it, darn.
Not bad....shows that maintenance does help.

I have a 1999 Ford E-350 Supervan with the 7.3 L diesel. It has over 350K miles on it. It has never seen a garage and I only very rarely run the block heater unless it's really cold. Only like 2 nights last year.

I found one big thing that helps diesels in the cold..... synthetic oil. I run Rotella T 15-40 synthetic. Before that it wouldn't start in the cold and it ran like crap. It really made a world of difference.

Not really a TPS on diesels but the gas pedal is a drive-by-wire device. It has what is like a potentiometer in it. Sometimes the cold affects them.

Old 11-26-12, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cummins has a TPS, and yes, it is a potentiometer type unit. Love my Cummins. I do take care of it, but use it hard, so I guess some day it will rebel and leave me stranded on a mountain somewhere, but no complaints. I would like to switch to synthetic, but with that many miles, I am a little afraid of changing diets.