High intensity bulbs

Old 12-11-12, 03:33 PM
D
dam
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High intensity bulbs

I have a 2012 dodge ram and was wondering if its worth the money to put sylvania high intensity head lamps in? I see there $99. Is that for one or a pair?

Old 12-12-12, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Are you talking about HID lamps? Or just the brighter ones like Silverstar?

If I'm remembering correctly...true HID lamps need specific housings as they run hotter. They aren't just a bulb swap kinda thing. The HID bulbs do run about $50 each.

Old 12-12-12, 09:55 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
True HID bulbs will not work in normal headlights. I'm a bit doubtful that RAM (aka Dodge) has changed their headlights to be HIDs.

On the subject of if the more expensive bulbs are worth it.... Debatable.
I am running sylvania's higher end lights in our 07 Grand Caravan. They where give or take the same price.
The benefits are they are more white color (cooler color temp then OEM), and the cooler light does look to cover more area. They also cosmetically look nicer then the warmer temp lights (just my opinion).
The down side... They will run hotter then the OEM bulbs as they are film coated to achieve the color. This in short means they may not last as long as OEM lights.
For 6 months of the year, I drive with these lights to and from work in the dark (100miles round trip). Do I prefer them over OEM, yes. Would I replace these ones with another set in this van if they go... Not sure, pretty expensive.

In the end, they will be the same Wattage, and by law, you are going to be restricted to a max amount of light output, so it all comes down the the color temp of the light.

Old 12-19-12, 04:59 AM
Q
I think they should be out lawed driving at night has become a hazard with the brighter headlites JMHO

Old 12-19-12, 05:10 AM
N
I think they should be out lawed driving at night has become a hazard with the brighter headlites JMHO
Proper HIDs are perfectly legal and fine on the hwy. I drive 100 miles a day in the dark (50 in the morning and another 50 at night). It's the dumbies that have the fakes or illegal china versions that should be delt with. Some don't even come with a high/low beam option and are above the legal output limit.

Old 12-19-12, 06:53 AM

yep.....more and more you see these "people" with blinding lights trying to look "cool".....

Most are simply mega-watt bulbs with a blue coating meant to look like HID's

And those that do swap their halogens for aftermarket HID bulbs are even worse.

A filament light source and an arc light source have vastly different output patterns.

To the original poster and the "Silverstar" bulbs.....good way to go.....usually $50 to $60 pair.

Buy them from a reputable store.....but there are cheaper ones.....not sure if they are fakes.

They're safe and as stated do improve visibility.....but.....they don't last as long.

Old 12-19-12, 09:39 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Northern Mike
It's the dumbies that have the fakes or illegal china versions that should be delt with. Some don't even come with a high/low beam option and are above the legal output limit.
Power isn't the issue--pattern is. Housings designed for incandescent bulbs (which have horizontal filaments) will splatter light all over the place when fitted with HID capsules (which have a long fore/aft emitter). That's why they're illegal in most countries.

I retrofitted HIDs on my ATV because in the woods I actually like the wide off-axis spray of light. But there opposing traffic isn't an issue

The idiots that designed the headlights on my car (05 Impala) used tinted lenses. Nice looks--poor performance. I use SilverStar bulbs and can definitely see the difference. One caution--many cars with only 2 headlights use a "dimmer" to reduce the output for day-time running lights. I previously had an Aurora that must have used a dimmer circuit with a pulsed output as it ATE expensive SilverStar bulbs like crazy. I was lucky to get 6 months out of a set.

Old 12-21-12, 06:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Slightly off topic. Why do the truck manufacturers (cars too for that matter) think that "driving" lights should be enabled with dim headlights? Fog lights, sure. Driving lights should be circuited to only come on with bright lights. Nothing more formidable than an oncoming F350 with dim headlights and blaring driving lights blinding the oncoming traffic. You flash your high beams at them, and they respond in like fashion, unaware that their driving lights are so obnoxious.

Old 12-21-12, 07:37 AM
N
Slightly off topic. Why do the truck manufacturers (cars too for that matter) think that "driving" lights should be enabled with dim headlights? Fog lights, sure. Driving lights should be circuited to only come on with bright lights. Nothing more formidable than an oncoming F350 with dim headlights and blaring driving lights blinding the oncoming traffic. You flash your high beams at them, and they respond in like fashion, unaware that their driving lights are so obnoxious.
Do you mean the fog lights (lights generally in the bumper with clear lenses)?
If I'm correct, no idea.
My SRT4 has them, and it's setup (factory) to only allow their use with your low beams. If I'm using my low beams, it's not to blind on coming vehicles. Fog lights on defeats that.

Old 12-21-12, 09:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee has them, but there is an adjustment hole in the lens. But why have lights that are obnoxiously brighter, cover a larger area, and come on with low beams?

Old 12-21-12, 07:44 PM
D
I personally don't drive at night because of headlamps. I live in the 13th largest city in America, headlamps don't have to ignite the roadway! The ones that got me the most were the 'cool guys'. The ones with their 6-8,000$ hondas, with 'custom' headlights. They think the road looks cool in a soft blue tint, but the idiots don't realize that they are asking for a head on collision!

Old 01-12-13, 12:31 AM
S
Fog lights are designed to cut under fog. The have a low mount on the bumper to shine under the viewing area. Low beams are designed to aim low. Fog lights would be useless for fog if the high beams lit the fog in the viewing area. Therefore, they come on with the low beams.

The difference between low and high beams in the direction the light is shining. High beams shoot light high. Don't confuse high beams for being brighter. Picture it in your head as a flashlight. Low is shining low at your feet high is shining high at your face. The reason it seems brighter in traffic is do to the light shining at your face rather then at the ground. Some cars use slighlty higher wattage bulbs on high beam as well which does make them brighter. But, the way the light is reflected plays the biggest role.

Re guarding HID bulbs: They need the right reflectors. If used with a halogen housing the light is sporaticly aimed. The bulbs are different therefore they do not aim the same in the housings. You need projectors which properly place the light. They have a much sharper cut off as to not blind traffic.

Reguarding High output halogen bulbs. Silver stars, other performance halogen light bulbs.They work but have drawbacks... They work harder and therefore last half as long as regular bulbs. Doesn't matter the brand it has been proven again and again. That because they are running hotter they don't last as long. The bulbs I ran lasted 4 months before fizzing out. As much as they cost totally not worth the cost. The silver stars are some what regular bulbs with a blue tint to give a white appearance. This white appearance while looking cool luminates falling snow or rain with greater intensity. If your going to buy any buy the Phillips X-treme power. they are a class leading bulb that performs better then the others.

Last edited by Silver dude; 01-12-13 at 01:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: