Truck hard to start

Old 12-17-12, 04:41 PM
Truck hard to start

Lent my 1996 Nissan pickup to a friend a few weeks ago. He brought it back, it sat for about a week (just below freezing temps), went out and tried to start it.... just kept cranking... and cranking....

Checked for spark, looks good. Pulled the line off after the fuel filter, getting fuel. Could hear the fuel pump cycle on when I turned the key to ON (not actually turning the truck over...).

Eventually, it started (after trying the things above, tried cranking it and could hear it kick a bit so kept on it a bit longer and it eventually fired up). Until it gets a little warmer, sort of hesitates and stutters while I'm driving.

Now if I let it sit for more than a couple days, run into the same problem. I tried running some Seafoam through to take any water out of the fuel, then refilled the tank. Still no dice.

Any ideas? Fuel pump getting weak? Cold start injector?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 05:26 PM
Only way to check for a weak fuel pump would be to add a test point, my '95 lacks one.

Yours should be OBD-II, any codes?

Old 12-17-12, 05:59 PM
Not sure what you mean by test point?

Nope, not obd-II. Has the computer under the passenger seat but embarassed to admit that I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Old 12-17-12, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
A "test point" would be a fitting in the fuel rail where you could measure your fuel pressure.

The fuel system is a closed loop. Comes from a fuel pump in the tank....thru a regulator....to the fuel rail...back to the tank. Usually the fuel rail should stay pressurized when the vehicle is shut off. If not, it should come up to pressure quickly after turning the key.

You may have a fuel regulator issue. You may need to find out how to diagnose the fuel pressure regulator.

Old 12-17-12, 06:47 PM
Ah, ok. I'll take a look through the Haynes manual and see if there's any specific info in there

Old 12-18-12, 09:43 AM
I thought that by law, everything '96+ had to be OBD-II, at least if sold new in the United States...

Pulling the seat isn't too hard. Four 10mm bolts if memory serves. I've had mine out three or four times to road-test. Reminds me that once I get mine starting correctly (probably battery in my case) I need to lower my idle speed a bit.

Old 12-18-12, 05:19 PM
Embarrassed to admit it but I think I got the year wrong

It's a 95

Old 12-18-12, 06:18 PM
s'okay. I frequently mess up my Impala SS, a '95, because the last year they made them was '96 and not long after I got the Impala I recieved an '86 Trans Am...

Old 12-18-12, 07:49 PM
Managed to get the snow off the truck and clean the garage out enough to pull it in.

Checked the computer, came back with a detonation sensor code, which I guess is the same as a knock sensor. So, it shouldn't cause the no-start issues I'm having.

Under the hood, there's no test point, would have to make my own with some hose, tees, clamps and a gauge which'll be the next project.

As for the fuel regulator, I'm not sure where it's located on the truck. I'll have to check with some nissan specific forums I'm on and see if they can help me out.

Old 12-21-12, 06:46 AM
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, getting 36psi with vacuum, 46psi without (in line with what's spec'd in Haynes manual).

Shut it down, dropped to about 10psi overnight.

Cycled key to "ON", pump went on, jumped up to 45psi for a few seconds then clicked off, dropped down to 35psi.

So it seems like the pump is working ok, although might have a bit of a leak in the foot valve or something...?

Old 12-21-12, 07:34 AM
We had a '96 Nissan Altima 2.4L. There is a known problem with oil leaking through the rocker cover gasket and down into the sparkplug tubes and seeping around the plugs soaking the electrodes with oil. I don't know if this would apply to your truck but I'm throwing it out there. I don't remember it ever causing a no start condition but it caused missing and poor performance.

Old 12-21-12, 03:12 PM
'96 Altima 2.4
Did that have a KA24E engine, or was it a different series?

That kind of failure is REALLY common, btw. Any engine where the spark plugs are installed into tubes deep into the head can have that. Some engines like the Chrysler Powertech 2.4L in the Stratus and PT can leak at the top, while the Chrysler Neon 2.0L engine has pressed-in tubes, which can leak at the bottom too, and have to be resealed.

Old 12-21-12, 04:00 PM
It's the 3.0L V6 but I'll check to see.