Value of 1988 Chevrolet C/K K1500 Regular Cab 4x4

Old 12-27-12, 01:25 PM
Value of 1988 Chevrolet C/K K1500 Regular Cab 4x4

Greetings,

I'm having an issue finding a solid value for this truck online.

Basically, as the title states, how much can I expect for this?

1988 Chevrolet C/K K1500 Regular Cab 4x4. Auto. V8 305.
160,000 Miles.
Very responsive, lots of torque. Unfortunately this is not the best highway vehicle for cruising.
DIY steel/wood removable raised walls in the bed.
Complete exhaust replacement 1 year ago. Bolts had to be re-threaded.
New oil pan.
Brakes & Rotors.
Bondo 2-3 years old, holding up 100%.
Everything in complete functional order.
Minor transmission fluid leak, cheaper to add some every month or so.
Exhaust smokes for the first 10 seconds on a cold start & then turns clear.
Tires have about a year left. Four spare aluminum chrome rims & tires would be included.

I'm not terribly experienced in used auto sales, figured I'd ask the motor head pro's.

Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-12, 01:46 PM
Value is a hard thing to define. I like the Internal Revenue Service's definition: Value is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller when neither party is forced to buy or sell. This also applies to your room air conditioner.

In other words, something may have sold brand new for X dollars but once purchased, even though not even removed from the box, you might be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay 1/2 X dollars for the item. On the other hand you might find someone that is willing to pay more than X dollars for a particular item.

Old 12-27-12, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
One of the best ways is to look online (Craigs List) and in the Auto Trader type publications for your area. Find equivalent vehicles and price accordingly.

Personally.....unless there's something real special about it...you are probably looking at $1000 or less. Prob more like $750 or so. At least I wouldn't consider paying more than that. It is 25 yrs old.

Old 12-27-12, 02:59 PM
I figured somewhere between $500-$1000.

I was looking for a starting point, or rather a reasonably number I could hope to get but not let it go for less than "x" amount if I weren't in a hurry.

I didn't have luck with the AC's original retail pricing 5-8 years ago, I only have the BTU/ESR to compare to today or post here.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-27-12, 08:59 PM
dont let it go for less than a grand.(unless i can buy it for 500 lol). the used car market has went nuts. u almost cant buy a car that u can buy and drive for less than 1500. heck i but you could get 600 just for scrap metal.

Old 12-28-12, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Pretty close; I think the scrap price down here is running about $260/ton. I agree most anything that runs is worth a grand. Might start @ $1500 and see what happens.

Old 12-28-12, 06:51 AM
Good point about the scrap. I bought it for scrap hauling actually...

I haven't needed a 6' bed thus far, I'd rather invest the proceeds from the truck into my workshop.

The four spare Aluminum truck rims I have in the garage should be worth a couple hundred themselves.

Thanks for the good scrap comparatives.

Old 12-28-12, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
At the scrap yard (excuse me, recycler) near here you get an extra $20/ton for vehicles with aluminum rims; adds about $30-40 to an average car.

Old 12-28-12, 07:18 PM
I'd start at $1500
My dad always told me anything that has a working 4 wheel drive is worth $1000 more than the 2 wheel drive version. Over the years this has proved true. Around here anyway.