2008 F-150 Tire Chains

Old 02-01-13, 07:51 PM
2008 F-150 Tire Chains

Today I took the time to pre-fit my tire chains on my truck. I noticed the parking brake cable is within 1/2" from the tires. There is no way to get chains on with out having them rub the cable. I talked to the Ford Dealership about the issue and they said there is nothing I can do. Other than taking a nylon tie strap and pulling the cable back away from the tire does anyone have a better idea? This seems like a poor way to fix a problem and I can not imagine that others have not run into this problem. The GVW of my trailer and truck is over the 10K limit. So in my area when the State Patrol says chains are mandatory even on a 4x4 you do it or stay home.

Regards

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-13, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
The brake cable being 1/2" way from the tire doesn't sound right.
What would Ford do if the gvw requirements needed larger tires???

Can you look at another vehicle like yours to see hot the cable is hooked up?...........Maybe a trip to the dealership in a pair of coveralls is in order.
Would tying the cable out of the way affect the alignment much?

Old 02-02-13, 02:43 PM
About all you can do is tie it back but if a cross chain breaks it could still get interesting. Any time a P Brake gives me trouble it disappears I havent used one in 40 years.

Old 02-02-13, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Studded snow tires is a good option.

Old 02-02-13, 05:27 PM
Chains on a 08 F-150

To all

I have been to the dealer not much help there?

When the State Patrol says put tire chains on you put them on or stay home? Studded tires are not going to get you past the road check.

Nylon ties seem to be the only solution

Thanks guys

Ron

Old 02-02-13, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Is your truck a 4x4? You are supposed to put the chains on the front wheels....

Old 02-03-13, 05:42 PM
Chains on a 08 F-150

Chains only on the front is news to me with a 4x4. I have always been told if you have a front wheel drive vehicle and you put chains on it has to be on all four wheels? I thought you would use the same reasoning here. My thinking would be that if only the front wheels have chains they would grab and slow down causing the rear to lock up and slide out of control and you would quickly swap ends. I hate to see what would happen to my trailer in this situation. Yes chains on the front will help you get going but that is only 1/2 the problem, stopping is the other half.

Regards

Ron

Old 02-04-13, 01:59 PM
I had an older Ford 4X4 and I remember that the factory had put a spring on each of the parking cables that were holding more clearance from the tires. The spring was about 6 to 8 inches long and attached to the cable and the frame member so it held the cable away yet it was stretchy enough to allow the cable to move when applied. I don't think the ties will last too long since they usually aren't made of good quality like most stuff from China.

Old 02-04-13, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Actually come to think of it an old Ford full size van I owned had springs holding the cables as well.

Old 02-04-13, 05:33 PM
2008 F-150 Tire Chains

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input. I am still kind of at square 1. Today I took all the tires off to inspect the disc and pads, so I had a real good look at the parking brake cables. On the passenger side the cable makes a nice curve over to the drivers side. This curve keeps the cable away from the outside of the tire. On the drivers side it comes right off the actuator bracket and comes with a 1/2" of the tire. Chains will never fit with out tearing out the cable. I do not think cable or nylon chains will fit either. It was suggested to put nylon ties to pull the cable back but it is so stiff that I do not think it will pull far enough away. I guess it is one of those things where the engineers never thought to put chains on when designing the truck.

Regards

Ron

Old 02-04-13, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
See what else is approved in your state. Go with the new donut technology.

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product...of_2_Facts.pdf

How about cables?

I guess your against putting them on the front.

Old 02-04-13, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Anyway per washington law it says this.

WAC 204-24-050: Use of tire chains or other traction devices.

And here are the approved devices.

WAC 204-24-040: Traction devices.

Additional info from patrol.

Traction Devices - Washington State Patrol

With that said the auto sock here.

Autosock

Or get a set of BF goodrich KO's. They have the snow flake on the side. Best tire I ever had on my truck.

All-Terrain T/A KO | BFGoodrich Tires

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-04-13 at 09:06 PM.