What truck battery to buy?????

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-13, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
What truck battery to buy?????

My battery went dead in the truck today. I knew it was on its way out and have been trickl charging it weekly. But now its getting worse and the charge does not hold after the truck sits..... I check the water level twice a year so I maintain them pretty good.

Anyway this battery was replaced in 2006 oct... Almost 6 1/2 years. Its an energizer grp 75 650 cca. I would like the same battery but cant find them anymore in my area. i looked everywhere. By the way this batt was only 59 bucks.

So my options now are batterys from the local parts stores that are 100 bucks plus. All have similar warrantys 36 months except for the cheapo ones. Most are only 550 cca typical.

Names like
pro start
Auto craft
dura last.

Upon my search for energizer I stumbled on my bulk store members only club. They have duracell. Seems the warranty is the same, 36 months, but the cca at 0f are 690 and cca at 32 are 820. This battery is $20 cheaper. I want something to last as long as my energizer did. I think it would have went longer but the truck sat for long periods while I was not working. The battery often died and I really lacked on charging it properly. Just jump and go.

Anyone know about these duracells? This is the one but may be an old pic.

Duracell® Automotive Battery - Group Size 75 - Sam's Club

Here is the actual duracell site. I would take it that the store would now have this type and not whats in the pic above. Its a glass matt or AGM battery which I have no idea what that means.

http://www.driveduracell.com/assets/...image/1692.pdf

I am leaning toward the duracell.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-13, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Just a note...Went out and looked at my energizer battery and it says 2 yr replacement and 84 month prorated warranty... I still have the reciept but dont think I want to buy the prostart from that store.

But here is the prostart. Seems the same as my energizer with regards to warranty and CCA. The duracell has a better CCA and an extra yr on the replacement.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9074222/54/parts/batteries_accessories/automotive_batteries/

Duracell® Automotive Battery - Group Size 75 - Sam's Club

Old 02-20-13, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
I'm using Interstate batteries in my vehicles right now.

There are a whole load of batteries on the market from China. Don't count on any long life from them.

I install alarms and can't get any decent lead acid batteries for alarm panels.

Old 02-20-13, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Here is an interesting read. I was trying to find out who made the pro starts.

Johnson controls has the market cornered....

Old 02-21-13, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had good luck with Autozone batteries, not the cheap ones but the ones with the 3 yr free replacement. I've been getting 8-10 yrs service out them. I can't get over how much batteries have jumped in price over the last several years

Old 02-21-13, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah I totally forgot what batteries cost myself. Its almost 50% more.

After reading that johnson control thing I think it does not matter where I buy.

I am going with the prostart I guess. There is a $10 coupon online for it from pepboys for batterys, but a $20 for $100 or more spent. Does not say excludes batterys.

$10

Online Printable Coupon - $10 Off ProStart Battery | Pep Boys

$20

Online Printable Coupon - $20 Off Merchandise Purchase of $100 Or More | Pep Boys

Old 02-21-13, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Older CR says Diehard gold, Bosch, and Everstart (North) were top choices The first had 640 CCA and a 36/100 warranty, Bosch was 700 and a 36/96, the last was 700 and a straight 36 warranty. $100, 80 and 80 respectively.

I'll see if I can find the newer issue.

Old 02-21-13, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
Since China has become the world mecca for lead processing and lead acid battery construction, we are exporting a large amount of lead to them.

Old 02-21-13, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well I bought the pro start. Apparently it was the same exact part # as the energizer. ( Goes back to johnson controls makes all batterys just with a different name)

They could not pull my prorate up for some reason. He said because , matching part # but mine was an 84 month prorate and the new batt with same part # is 72 month. The computer was saying mine was out of prorate. Computers are dumb.

The manager was nice and said he would give me 20% off the new battery. Came to $85 bucks with tax.......

They said the reasons the battery's went up was not the lead, but the plastic... petroleum???? Thought it would be made from corn....

Thanks to all who replied.....

Still suprised JC makes interstate.....

Johnson Controls « Batteries | Compare Reviews and Trusted Advice from Battery Experts

Old 02-21-13, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad the manager treated you right

reasons the battery's went up was not the lead, but the plastic... petroleum
..... and I thought the reason the prices went up was due to the larger conspiracy to keep us all in the poor house

Old 02-21-13, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
No....sorry marksr .. you are confusing the high cost of batteries with the even higher cost of fuel

Old 02-22-13, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't get me started on fuel prices Locally they went up 20+ cents last week
They say we are paying less than the national average but a 50 cent hike over a month's time is hard to swallow

Old 02-22-13, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
We're up about 50c a gallon, too. Paid $3.85 yesterday; most stations @ $3.89.

Old 02-23-13, 06:32 AM
Glass mat refers to the material that the plates are made of I believe. and you guys quit your *****in 51% of the people wanted this.

Old 02-23-13, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
51% of the people wanted this.
Makes you wonder how many here are of that 51%???? The world may never know......

Yeah wrench I was going to go with the Duracell but that store was a lot farther too. Since this pro start is the same battery as that energizer, and I got 6 1/2 years out of it, I should get similar results I figure.

I think it would of went longer but the truck sat for 2 yrs not often driven, and the batt went dead often from sitting. Also a couple times I left my old sears charger on too long and bubbled the water out of the batt.

I guess there is such thing as over charging a battery?

I have a cica 1982 charger sears. 50/10/2. Like this only with 50 amp.

Old 02-23-13, 11:11 AM
Glass mat is actually fiberglass mat used as a separator between the "plates" of a battery. There is a relatively new technology of lead-acid battery known as an "AGM" which stands for Absorbed Glass Mat and it is used in sealed (no servicing) batteries. Costs about 20% more than standard construction.

Yes, it is actually rather easy to overcharge a battery, regardless of the technology of the battery. Boiling the "water" (properly called the electrolyte) out of the battery is about the worst thing you can do to a battery. They DO make "battery maintainers" for use on batteries that sit for long periods of time without use. Harbor Freight has one that normally sells for around $10 but is often discounted to less than $5. They have a bit better one that sells for around $20 but that too is often discounted or you can use one of their 20% off coupons. I've also seen the same thing with the Black & Decker name and maybe some other brands for around $20 in department stores that have an automotive section as well as Lowes and Home Depot in the tools area.

Old 04-01-13, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Closing thread. Question and issue was resolved....

Closed Thread