Mitsubishi Mighty Max '93 standard, intermittent starter solenoid pull-in

Old 03-26-13, 04:32 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi Mighty Max '93 standard, intermittent starter solenoid pull-in

Old starter/solenoid would not engage. Could hear starter relay pull in and hold with clutch depressed. Removed old starter/solenoid, put it on the pavement and hooked my jumper cable ground to the starter housing and my positive jumper cable to the solenoid tab. Sure enough, it worked fine every time I tapped the +12 to the solenoid terminal. So I figured the vehicle frame ground was failing when the higher current was trying to pass through. I found the engine ground connection to the battery negative terminal and sure enough, I made nearly a full turn on the bolt. I happily put the old starter/solenoid back in. Note: if you have changed a starter in this model Mighty Max with "normal" tools, then you know they built the whole truck around that top bolt!

After I got it back in and reconnected the heater hoses, I turned the ignition and half a second later the engine was on. Boy, I felt good, even though it had taken me hours to get that thing out and back in. I let the engine warm up while I was cleaning up the mess of tools and everything else. Then I stopped the engine and tried starting it again. You know what happened. Little relay
click, but no big solenoid click!

With experience now, and a just a handful of tools, I had that starter out and in the other car and on the way to get a new one in less than an hour. In less than another hour I installed a new starter and solenoid. Now it works but only after you hit the ignition start 5-15 times. This is a long story, but I'm hoping for a short response. Nonetheless, I'll read it regardless of how long it is.
Thanks for hearing me out, Rich Buett

Old 03-29-13, 04:00 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would start by removing all the batt cable connections and cleaning them.

Old 04-05-13, 12:28 PM
R
what engine does the mm have the 2.0 or 2,6

Old 04-06-13, 06:18 PM
A
Rich,

(You stated) Now it works but only after you hit the ignition start 5-15 times.

Well sir based on your above statement (and if it's accurate) your "Ignition Switch" is failing.

Do not confuse the ignition switch with the "Ignition Key Cylinder".

These are two DIFFERENT parts.

Thank You
Amy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: