Norcold 462 not working

Old 03-17-13, 12:22 PM
Norcold 462 not working

Hi everyone. New to the site. I have a Norcold 462 refridgerator/freezer in my 1989 Rustler 5th wheel. Everything has been working until now. It works on propane but once I switch it to Electric it stops cooling. I have checked for power and yes there is power, checked fuses and breakers and all it good. Heating element is hot on electric and propane. Now I am stumped. Please HELP.

Last edited by Ram06; 03-17-13 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-13, 01:00 PM
Ramo6,

First thing is are you aware of this recall, and is your unit part of this recall?

Norcold Recall

Next thing, if the recall has nothing to do with you, then your looking at a "Voltage Regulator Issue" within the unit itself.

Thank You
Amy

Old 03-17-13, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forum.

That recall pertains to the 1200 series fridges so it doesn't effect you.

I'm also a little stumped. You said the heating element is hot on electric and propane. Probably not correct. If you switch from propane over to AC then the boiler would have been already been hot and would take a while to cool off to see if the electric heater is ok.

You will need to check for the electric heater's resistance to make sure it's not burned open.

This is a link for your Norcold fridge service manual. Excellent diagnostics. As always..... thanks to Chris Bryant for hosting service manuals like this.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/n400.pdf

Look it over.....any questions..... fire away.

Old 03-17-13, 02:12 PM
thanks for the info, No the recall does not apply to mine. I did look at the service manual and the one step i have not done yet is taking off the front panel and checking the switch. I did shut off the propane and let the heater cool down before switching to electric and the heater got hot again but still no freeze in the freezer and no cool in the fridge.

Old 03-17-13, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
That's not good. If the electric heater is getting hot you should have cooling action. Based on your model it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the current draw of the heating element to see if it's near the 2.7 amps at 110 Volts - 2.9 amps at 120 Volts AC

Old 03-17-13, 02:35 PM
thanks I will check that current draw. The other thing that gets me is that the tubes that the refrigerant goes through are warm only up to the big cylinder (not sure what it is called) after that the tubes are cold.

Old 03-17-13, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
The round black bottle like thing right above the burner is the boiler.

Old 03-17-13, 04:17 PM
ok the boiler, from the boiler up is cold from boiler down and over to the heater element is warm to hot.

Old 03-17-13, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
When you are out there again......see if your serial number falls into the 00001-120909 range.

A good overview of the ammonia absorption system. That item you were referring to may be the leveling or equalizing chamber.

Gas Electric Refrigerators