please help

Old 03-31-13, 07:40 PM
please help

hi all.
i have a 94 f150 5.0
i was told the front fuel pump was bad when i bought the truck. ive been driving alot lately and decided i need the front tank so i dont have to stop at the pump as often. so i replaced the stock pump with an atex. now either tank that is selected i can hear the pump in that tank kick on and work. even put a gauge on the fuel rail and both tanks read 40psi ignition on and 45 while cranking. but the truck wont start now on either tank. any sujestions what to check next?
ive been taught fuel spark compression. so i have checked everything i can think of so far to no avail

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-13, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Since you are showing 40-45 lbs of fuel on the rail it wouldn't be a fuel delivery problem.
If the vehicle had been running fine I doubt compression would be an issue.
You were taught spark but did you actually check it now ?

If you do have spark then that leaves a fuel injector issue.

Old 03-31-13, 07:52 PM
I even thought I might have had a bad modual in the distributor. And changed it out and still nothing fixed. Coil pack and still not starting

Old 03-31-13, 08:03 PM
I just went back out and tested again for spark. I am not getting any to the plugs. I know the distributor I replaced. Is good it came off my parts vehicle which was just running before I pulled the distributor out. Timing is correct.

Old 04-01-13, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Regarding the pump running all the time.....this was a problem with the 94 models, and caused a NTSB recall of the vehicles to replace the cross tank valve. The pump in one tank would run constantly, pumping fuel into the other tank. If you were unlucky enough to open the gas cap on the other tank after a trip, you would be sprayed with pressurized fuel. Fires were prevalent on these trucks, and Ford replaced the valves. You may want to check the NTSB site with your VIN to see if the retrofit ever took place. I don't know if it ever expires, but look into it anyway.

As far as the spark problem, are you getting any voltage to the distributor?

Old 04-01-13, 07:34 AM
I think you misunderstood me about the fuel. The pump turns on when the key is turned to on and after it pressurizes the line it will shut off. Turning the key to crank the engine over and the pump turns on again like it is supposed to. I have voltage all the way to the coil. I think when I was researching the ignition control module the info I had looked at was wrong for my year model. I think now from what I found last night what I was lead to believe was the icm is actually just the pip I believe the icm is still bolted to the firewall. So once I get around I plan on checking it. The site I found my new info is from easyautodiagnostics.com