1995 pick up overheated and now wont turn over.

Old 04-19-13, 03:45 PM
1995 pick up overheated and now wont turn over.

Today I ran errands with my truck, a 1995 chevy silverado. I was 15 minutes from home when i saw my temp gauge shoot past 260 within a minute of first heating. Immediately i turned my truck around to head back home, then a rattle (knocking) sound began 5 mins into the drive back home. I tried my hardest to stay of the gas to prevent more heating. Suddenly as i pulled up to a stop sign, 2 miles from home, my engine gave out, just shut off. I tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over right and smoke started coming from my exhaust. I put it in park, popped my hood, and looked through my engine. Sure enough, my radiator hose popped off. I put it back on fully and tightened it back on securely. I tried to start it again and it turned over and started for a split second, then off it went again. I asked the person who lived in the house i was infront of for some water to mix in my radiator and added a bit of coolant. Tried to start my engine again and this time a zinging sound occurred- never heard this sound before and it wont start or turn or any thing. I managed to have it towed home (i had my toddlers with me so i had tried everything to get home). I'm not too much of a truck savvy girl and i'd really appreciate if some one could tell me why its suddenly not turning? and how i may be able to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-13, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Sorry you had this problem. I'm not going to yell at you for what you did, OK? You feel bad enough. If you didn't stop the truck when you noticed the temp rise and drove it until it died, then after it cools off, kiss the engine, as it is toast. All the symptoms you mention are the death throes of an engine that is being abused to the extent it won't be easily repairable. As far as it not turning over, the sound you heard was most likely the bendix gear on the starter failing to engage the flywheel. The flywheel is frozen up and won't move.

I know with two toddlers money is tight, but a good, I mean good, trustworthy, loyal, etc. mechanic should look at it and give his/her opinion. Sadly, an alternative means of transportation may be in the works for you.

Old 04-19-13, 05:58 PM
Really? the engine could die that quickly? There was minimal smoke only after i reconnected the hose, i had driven it for 5 mins (7 tops), and it was raining. To kiss my engine goodbye seems so... well sad. The engine had only 61k miles on it and i bought it just over a MONTH ago.

Old 04-19-13, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Yes...it can happen that quick. The coolant is gone, the engine heats up, the oil carbonizes and no longer lubricates, the bearings overheat and bond to the rotating parts, the engine dies.

I'm surprised by one thing...if it was a top hose...you would still have water in the radiator and block. Should have kept you going about 2 or 3 miles. You said 15 min away....did you really try to drive 5-7 miles?

Live and learn....sorry.

Old 04-19-13, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ashley, as Vic says, it takes all the components to keep an engine running. Lose one and lose it all. Water for cooling, oil for cooling and lubrication, fuel for power, air to help fuel vaporize, spark to ignite it all, transmission fluid to keep it moving.
Wish there was better news. Let us know what your mechanic says, as they will have hands on and we are diagnosing from afar, although we've been around the corner more than once.

Old 04-20-13, 03:00 PM
Well, i'm actually glad i hadnt just given up on my motor. Today I pulled my spark plugs and besides a little carbon are in great condition. Nothing leaking out and all. So I removed my fan to see if i could manually turn my motor- sure enough i could. Well from what ive been told you shouldnt be able to turn a seized motor right? Well it was pretty smooth with a bit of effort. So That got me thinking that maybe it was something else not connecting. Did a bit of research and i came to the conclusion that maybe my starter wasnt engaging. Brought it to my auto shop and they tested it for me, sure enough it wasnt engaging properly- im slighly relieved because after thinking i'd be buying a motor im very happy that i MAY be spending 50-80$. I'll be getting my new starter next weekend. i'll keep you updated!

Old 04-20-13, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep a close eye on all your gauges and fluid levels in the future. Sometimes you get lucky and don't cause a lot of damage but often other issues will pop up from the abuse the engine took. Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-20-13, 03:09 PM
Actually it was the bottom part of the hose, it wasnt fastened tight enough- but all-be-damned if it isnt now. And No i said i was 7 mins away tops (google maps says 1.9 miles) when it started heating up. And about 4 mins from my house (a mile away) it gave at a stop sign.

So no i didnt try to drive it 7 miles- that wouldve been exptremely neglectful and ignorant. I'm not THAT absent minded. But i was hopeful in thinking i could make it home trying to not rev anymore than i had to.

But to add i will def be keeping some tools and spare things in my truck so that if i find myself in this situation I'll take care of it properly. I 'm trying very hard to stay off of a bill of a mechanic so any other suggestions would be helpful
Tomorrow im going to check my flywheel next to see if it having issues.

Last edited by Ashley Sam; 04-20-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-20-13, 03:12 PM
I had kept as good as an eye as i couldve- i saw the temp start to rise and immediatly headed home (yes i know i shouldve pulled over, but when your 3 yr old is telling you how bad she has to peepee i felt that i wasnt too far from home- next time if it happens, i know).

Old 04-20-13, 06:23 PM
Ashley Sam,

Unfortunately the postings (responses) thus far are correct.

The only good thing is that (an engine) can be rebuilt.

What is your level of skill?

Do you have friends, relatives, co-workers (etc) that can help you with rebuilding the engine?

Doing the labor yourself (to rebuild) the engine is the only way it would pay to repair this vehicle.

Thank You
Amy

Old 04-21-13, 06:45 AM
Don't give up yet, you have a GM product.

Years ago I had a Olds Cutlass with a slow coolant leak. Driving to work it started getting hot, rattling from under the hood then POOF. Engine died, steam poured out from under the hood....wouldn't start, don't remember if it would turn over or not.

After work I poured some water in it and away I went, no apparent problems. Drove it for years and eventually sold it.

You may get lucky.