Fullsize pickup - swap to electric cooling fans?

Old 04-21-13, 10:50 AM
Fullsize pickup - swap to electric cooling fans?

Need a little advice. I want to swap my water pump-driven cooling fan for one big or two smaller electric ones on my truck. It's a 1994 Ford F-150 extended cab with the 300 I-6, 4-speed automatic trans, A/C and two-wheel drive. What I need to know are: at what temperatures do I want the fan/s to come on and go off? and how many CFM should I be looking to move through the radiator/condenser at a minimum? I think I would prefer dual fans simply for better coverage and maximum cooling, but to keep the ECM happy I really want to keep the on and off temps right. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-13, 11:26 AM
Chris,

The answers to your questions is that you need a "Vehicle Specific" fan set-up rather than a "Universal Fan" set-up. For that visit the link below.

1980-96 Ford Truck/Bronco Flex-A-Lite Electric Fans & Parts - Heating & Cooling Systems

While you're at it adding an external transmission fluid cooler (to work with and not in place of the current cooler) would be a good idea.

Thank You
Amy

Last edited by AMY FIX 62; 04-21-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-22-13, 01:06 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious Chris ..... why do you want to convert to an electric fan ?

Old 05-12-13, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the input. As to PJmax's question - I just replaced the radiator (yep - plastic tanks) and the truck is still running warmer than I'd like. The water pump is squealing a little (I think it's the factory unit - 150,000+ miles on it!) so it's the next thing on the list. But since this truck has the 300" 6 in it, and it's a little low on power out of the box, I'd like to replace the power-robbing mechanical fan to free up a little more oomph. I know, it's not going to be a bunch, but every little bit, you know?

Old 05-12-13, 07:28 AM
CMil,

I understand you’re reasoning, and I agree that every little bit helps, but have you ruled out the basics here. In other words you said that the truck is low on power “Out of the box”. Well if your truck has an automatic transmission have you made sure it’s not slipping, and have you ruled out cylinder compression issues?

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-12-13, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
I know many vehicles today use electric fans but I'm not a conversion fan. (pardon the pun)

I've done conversions in several vehicles. Without a custom fan shroud the electric fans don't have enough cooling power. You can't remove the stock fan and just stick an electric fan in. Some fans come with a basic bracket or two and are placed centered near the radiator.

If you do decide to make the change...... keep all the old parts so that you can always return to the stock setup.