What is the purpose of a trailer hitch converter

Old 05-07-13, 02:50 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had a trailer hitch installed at the Uhaul store last August 30 2012. A few weeks ago after hooking up the trailer the trailer lights came on before I started my 2012 Nissan. I went in to where I had it installed and he told me I need a new converter switch that I paid $39.95 plus labor I didn't buy a warranty at the time.
So what does this converter actually do?

thanks.

Old 05-07-13, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
On Nissan and other similar vehicles, you have signal lights separate from brake lights. Orange. The converter synthesizes the mismatch and sends the correct signal to your trailer lights, which only have two filaments, one for tail lights and one for brake/signal combined. There is a break in the harness at the rear of the truck underneath, where you unplug it from itself and insert this converter "T" in place. I'd shop around for a converter and do it myself.

Something similar to this:

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  6.4 KB

Old 05-07-13, 03:25 PM
K

Thank you! My husband said he will install one . We only used the trailer 5 times since I had it installed. He had one on his truck for many years and never had that problem.

Old 05-07-13, 03:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
On a utility trailer I'd switch the trailer lights to match the vehicle. Depending on how handy you are you might be able to just change the lamp sockets in the light housing or just remove the entire light and replace with a complete trailer light to match your vehicle electrical system. No converter to go bad and if you can change only the sockets less than $20.

Old 05-17-13, 07:10 PM
K
thanks Ray! I will read this to my husband

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: