Accidentally used oversize oil drain pug

Old 05-14-13, 09:01 AM
Accidentally used oversize oil drain pug

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. I made the mistake of using an oversized oil drain plug. I feel that I am headed for trouble if I keep using oversized. Can I go back to standard size drain plug? I tested standard size briefly with some oil and it stopped the flow. Should I use teflon tape or sealant on threads to make plug fit tighter? Or will this cause foreign matter to get in the oil system?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-13, 04:22 AM
How over sized was the plug?
I'm thinking you are going to have to use the larger drain plug. Do not use any sealant or teflon tape.

Old 05-15-13, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
If your oversized drain plug was one meant for a different vehicle you may want to replace it.
There are oversized drain plugs available that will cut a new thread.

Click image:

Images courtesy of autozonedotcom

The problem with using a regular plug and stripped threads is you never know how much thread is actually holding it in place.
Teflon tape is never used when you have a gasketed seal like an oil plug but a small amount could be used to ensure a tighter fit of your stripped threads.

Old 05-15-13, 07:23 AM
The oversized plug I used looks exactly like the top image Greg posted. The one I used was made specifically for my make and model. It even had the same part number. It just said 'oversized.'

I notice when I used a fresh oversize plug after oil change, it was initially tight and then loosened some and would not tighten after that. It makes me wonder if continued use of oversize might bore open the threads more. The guy at the auto parts store warned me against tightening it. I almost think these oversized plugs should be kept behind the parts counter instead of out on the floor.

If I never needed to drill a new oil drain hole, they wouldn't need to remove the oil pan would they? Because in my truck that would mean engine removal.

Old 05-15-13, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
That second one might be better that the single re-threader type.
The second smaller plug appears to have an o-ring and would not have to be tightened as much as a gasket.

A quick search for those over-sized drain plugs also found a kit that looked a bit like one used to repair a spark plug bore.
It came with a drill bit, tap and plug.
I would guess that doing it with the pan in place and pouring in a couple of litres of oil would clear out any metal particles that wound up in the pan.

Old 05-15-13, 09:53 AM
Thanks Greg and Mike,

I might see if they sell a quick release drain valve. That would stop any wear and tear on the threads

Old 05-15-13, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure what a quick release drain pan would be and not sure if the idea behind that is a good one.
Carefully tightening a gasket type would be the safest option imo.

A torque wrench would prevent damaging threads in the future.

Old 05-16-13, 09:47 AM
Some years ago I remember someone telling me that you can buy these drain valves that permanently screw into the oil pan hole. Then you can can just open a valve to drain oil instead of unscrewing plug.

Old 05-16-13, 03:57 PM
bluesbreaker,

You stated you used an oversized oil drain plug, but you don't go into any detail as to WHY?
With that being said WHY did you resort to an oversized plug in the FIRST PLACE?

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-17-13, 07:10 AM
I accidentally picked the wrong one off the store shelf. It had the same part number as standard size. I don't think they should even stock these on shelf. These should be behind the parts counter

Old 05-18-13, 03:24 AM
bluesbreaker,

The bottom line is that oversized oil pan plugs are made for a reason, and they do work. If you're seeing any leaks then don't worry about it.

Thank You
Amy