Tire Side Wall Cracks!

Old 05-28-13, 09:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Tire Side Wall Cracks!

Tires beginning again to show slight hair line cracks on side walls...

Brand: The Big "M" brand...

I have been using the Big "M" brand over the last few years. Always happens on both truck tires and SUV tires. Tires begin to show minor side wall hairline cracks slight over 3-4 years regardless of miles on them.

Cracks are NOT a result of suns rays, under inflation, drying, lack of maintenance, rotation, etc. Dealer always checks all aspects about every 6 months.

Tires never able to be worn down to wear marks. Simply do not drive enough miles within 5 years to reach that point. Wear down to wear marks. After 5 years dealer will not rotate nor inflate tires, etc. Absolute hands off!!! As a result of Liability's!!!...

Left with no other choice but to replace them with new under the prorate plan. Which then once again I get the same OEM size and rated tire only to once again face the same results 3-4 years later....

IMO, this brand has tire aging down to a science!!! Unless you're willing to forgo the prorate plan and buy another brand, only choice is to replace them with more big "M" tires!!! BUMMER!!!

Questions:
Have you noticed this type of occurrences with that brand?

Know of a brand that does not obtain side wall cracks in less such a short time span or not at all???

What causes it???...

Composition of materials or something else???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-13, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I don't buy that brand of tires but I do have vehicles that don't get driven a lot and have experienced the weather checking on the sidewalls I doubt that it is brand specific although I wouldn't doubt that some tire/rubber compounds are worse than others.

I think the tire shine helps but can't say for sure. I wish I had thought to use it on my tractor tires when they were new as they are showing a lot of small cracks and it stays in the barn except when it's being used...... but I'm in no hurry to replace them

Old 05-28-13, 12:53 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
My Goodyear RSA tires (performance tires they put on Dodge SRT vehicles and even Corvettes) had weather cracking bad in them. Their Eagle F1 SuperCar tires do the same.
The one thing in common (mine and yours) is they sit alot. My car gets parked for the winter.

On the tire shine note, be careful as some have alcohol and other solvants that will damage the rubber (causing these cracks).

On the up side, you guys pay a lot less then we do for tires.

Old 05-28-13, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just replaced tires on my car pretty much for the same reason. Fronts were pretty well worn due to lack of rotation, but rears easily had 20K miles left...something like 8-9/32nds of tread left. Sidewalls heavily cracked and dried out due to heat and sun. Think they were just at 5 yrs old. This car is pretty much only city driven for last 4 yrs.

In some areas just the air can mess with your tires.

I've seen anecdotal reports that the "wet look" wipe on and leave it tire shine can damage tires...but no confirmed facts. I just use the low gloss stuff that claims to help with UV damage.

I doubt any brand is really better in that respect. Rubber is still rubber even though they may use different compounds.

Old 05-29-13, 07:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Tire dealer said cracks become dangerous when a finger nail can be inserted into a crack. Once that happens the tire isn't any good (Safe) any longer. That size and or depth happens during the 5th year or so. Regardless of miles. That's when they are pro-rated and replaced or you continue to use them at you own risk! Inspection report denotes failed inspection. Customer notified. All done while you wait and watch. Then you learn of the solution. Replace with all new tires.

The positive side is drivers are much less likely to continue usage until a blow out results as was the case in years no so long gone by. Negative side, be prepared to replace them and since you're not likely to forfeit the pro rate unused amount ($$$) they got'ya!!! again!...

Dealer said same thing about any brand of side wall shine. Many brands may appear to shine the side walls but at the expense of the tires in the long run. No way is there a win-win any longer.

I doubt any brand is really better in that respect. Rubber is still rubber even though they may use different compounds.
Dealer claims the additives to the mix of compounds used to make each of the ply 's have lots of benefits. Required compounds to bond each ply to the radial wire strands and each ply together. Overall the best that can be obtained. Seems true since rarely do tires blow out any longer or at least not as often as in years gone by.

Safety comes at a cost....
Drive safe-the life you save may be your own.

Old 05-29-13, 08:24 AM
On the up side, most vehicles these days are only good for about 10yrs, so that would really only be two tire replacements (OEM tires plus 2 replacements).

I wish I had taken pictures of my RSA tires before I replaced them. While they where being replaced, I inspected the inside of the worst tire (had a slow leak that required air every second day). I could only find one spot where the cracking had discolored the inner ply on that tire.

Old 05-29-13, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
5 years! That's a lot in my book. I am lucky to get 2 years on a set of tires on my Dually, so they definitely don't crack or check. I put a bunch of miles on it though (421k so far). NOW, as for my trailers, I do experience the checking you are referring to. They don't get driven much, sit still a bunch, and thus the sidewalls aren't flexed. I'll get quite a few year on a set of tires on them.

Old 05-29-13, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
"most vehicles these days are only good for about 10yrs"

Hey! No more of that kind of talk! Wifes Tribute is heading for 14 and my Verona is right at 10. Except for her transmission issues and a few minor problems with the CD player her car has been very reliable. My Verona just started having a window regulator/motor issue but that's the first real problem since we got it.

I want at least 4 more out of hers and even more out of mine. Don't jinx us!

Old 05-30-13, 05:30 AM
"most vehicles these days are only good for about 10yrs"

Hey! No more of that kind of talk! Wifes Tribute is heading for 14 and my Verona is right at 10. Except for her transmission issues and a few minor problems with the CD player her car has been very reliable. My Verona just started having a window regulator/motor issue but that's the first real problem since we got it.

I want at least 4 more out of hers and even more out of mine. Don't jinx us!
You won't get that out of a later 2000's vehicle.

I'm looking at replacing doors (rear hatch currently) on my wife's 07 grand caravan (~177,000km). The Hatch has a few bad spots, most if not all are rust spots from the inside (under the paint).
The tranny is junk (never felt right from day one, and really isn't a proper mate for the 3.3l engine) and the number of electronic sensors and what not gone bad just this winter... I'm still able to repair and repaint (myself) for about 3 payments I would have if we replaced it, so...

Sorry... off topic.

On topic, we're on our third set of tires on this van. Drive Assurance TripleTreds year round (winter/summer). I've kept the tires within 3-5PSI of THEIR max (when hot) and have come close to or exceeded the expected miles out of the tires. This third set was installed because I was getting close to due, and had picked up nails in two tires at the resort we where at.