Right side trailer light causing feedback.

Old 07-01-13, 07:51 PM
Right side trailer light causing feedback.

My home built trailer needed some service that I did not have time to do myself. When I picked it up the right side turn signal lamp would not flash but I thought it was just a loose bulb. When I got home and tightened it in the socket, it worked but it made EVERYTHING flash when the right turn signal was engaged. EVERYTHING stopped flashing except the Truck's right turn signal when I removed the new tailight bulb on the trailer completely. I was pegging my ohm meter (this was happening between ALL the wires in the trailer plug)when checking for shorts in the main trailer lights and separate ground wire. The left turn signal worked properly and so did the emergency flashers as long as the right rear tail light bulb was removed. I cannot see anything amiss with the tail light. it seems to be intact. What should I be looking for for this issue? I removed the main truck trailer separate ground wire and cleaned up the contacts. Logic says this issue is with the right rear trailer tail light, but I don't know what to do besides replacing the whole thing. (I put separate ground wires on it, to no avail.)

Comments and advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-13, 05:33 AM
Get a long wire and fasten it to a good ground on the towing vehicle. Then touch it to various places like the bulb itsalf,the socket, the light housing, to locate the open ground.

Old 07-04-13, 06:23 AM
Right side trailer light causing feedback

It turned out to be the bulb. This has a foreign made trailer light kit that is probably not the best you can buy. The bulb must have gotten jarred and the two bulb contacts were not firmly seated in the socket. My guess is that the bulb contacts were both touching the positive and negative tabs in the socket, causing the feedback. Its always the simple things that get you!

Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-04-13, 06:32 AM
Had a car come in that when you turned the park lights on the right front would blink slowly. The filiment in the bulb was broken but would make contact warm up and disconnect,then cool and reconnect.

Old 07-23-13, 05:45 AM
Trailer lights

Once back in normal operation, I have been reminded twice now what a low quality set of trailer lights I have. I am constantly finding a loose, or burned out bulb on one side or the other within the light sockets. I use extended life bulbs from the autoparts store, and I know that trailer suspension systems are not the easiest on bulbs, but my company commercial trailers didn't seem to burn out or come loose like these do. Is there a brand, or a site where I could buy a quality set of light sockets for this trailer?