85 Chevy S10 2brl carb

Old 07-09-13, 05:11 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 85 Chevy S10 2brl carb

I have a 1985 chevy s10 2.8L V6 2brl carb. I recently bought this truck Back in march. Ever since then ive had a few problems with the carburetor.
First off 2nd barrel doesnt open or kick in properly. (likes to fall on its face for a split seconed then take off) Second is every now and then it doesnt like to start. Carb floods 10 mins later fires and misses like h***.

Now as of yesterday it does not start at all gas is coming out of vacuum lines out the side of thce carb along with gaskets. It now turns over slower. I pulled out the dip stick for i dont know why but its way past the full mark and smells like gas.

I have worked on cars many of times before but i am not at all good with carburetors. As i am only 23 yrs.old. I have been told that this needs a pin or o ring of some sort for the accelorator pump and a carb rebuild kit which i assume thekit will have what i need for theaccelerator pump.

Any help that you could provide with this would be great. I am also wondering if any one could a break down of the the carb and the vacumm lines. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-13, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Try to get the # off the carb... Its probably a GM Rochester. These were good carbs and in all of my cars as a youth.

Once we get that we can find you the proper kit. They also have places you can send the carb out and they rebuild it for you.. $$ though...

If you never done this its not really that hard.. But I have screwed up some carbs in my day...

Old 07-09-13, 10:33 AM
G
i do also beleave it is a Rochester. these are the numbers i was able to pull off the carb.

1125 HXL

Old 07-10-13, 05:03 AM
R
And dont forget to drain that crankcase. When the engine warms up this becomes a very explosive mixture. Expierence talking here.

Old 07-10-13, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Old 07-15-13, 07:57 AM
G
Before taking out the carb i fix all the vacumm lines. (someone had no idea what they were doing).I was able to put a new kit in the carb, found that the pin from the needle came disconnected. Now with all the new parts in, Carb back on. I tried to start it and it ran for 10 sec's missed real bad in the last 5 and staled. I walked around to look in the carb and it pouring gas right down the carb. So i ordered a new float and will be working putting that in today and let you all know from there.

Old 07-15-13, 08:02 AM
G
I did drain the crank had a good quart or 2 of gas in the block. Im going to run it a few 100 miles then changed the oil again.

Old 07-17-13, 04:20 PM
G
So i forgot to update you guys. The truck runs great now after putting a new float in. We adjusted the fuel mixture and the timing. She purs like a kitteni love it.

Old 07-17-13, 04:24 PM
G
I also have a question about the idle stop solenoid. This truck does not have A/C. Ive been driving around with it unhooked with no problems. Do I even need this?