Is my clutch going out or something else

Old 08-08-13, 08:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is my clutch going out or something else

89 f150inline 6 with 5sp manual transmission' 120k miles. Approx 22mpg highway.
6montha ago, i put brake fluid in what i now know is the clutch fluid reservior. Shortly after, i noticed slipping in 5th gear when fast accerating for OD but ran fine after leveling off at 55. Within couple weeks, 4th gear started to feel power loss. A couple months ago, 3rd and then 2nd gear. No effect in 1st so far.
The thing that makes me wonder is that as long as i dont push the engine, it'll still hit 55 and my gas mileage seems unaffected. I have never just drop the gas to see if i can make it slip. If i notice it starting to slip, i ease up on the gas.

Old 08-08-13, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Putting brake fluid in the clutch fluid reservoir won't cause your clutch to slip. It can however cause the clutch not to release if the brake fluid has an adverse reaction to the clutch fluid. It would probably be a good idea to use a poultry baster to remove as much fluid as you can and replace it with the proper fluid.

The fact that your vehicle is slipping in higher gears would be a good sign that your clutch is worn.

Old 08-08-13, 09:18 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Most hydraulic driven clutch cylinders use brake fluid as the proper fluid.

Old 08-09-13, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Most hydraulic driven clutch cylinders use brake fluid as the proper fluid
That's what I thought. Given the mileage/age I suspect the clutch needs to be replaced and the slippage is unrelated to the addition of fluid.

Old 08-09-13, 07:00 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Most hydraulic driven clutch cylinders use brake fluid as the proper fluid.
I was going to say this as well. My car's clutch and braking system use the same resivor.

To the OP,
If you put the throttle down (wide open throttle) in low second, does the RPMs jump?
As an example (my clutch is slipping), if I go wot around 2k RPM in my car, the instant I'm into boost my RPMs will shoot straight to redline.
Another indication I was told to try (haven't so I don't know if it'll work on all vehicles/hp range) is to put the car in 3rd or 4th gear and at a stop on flat ground, let the clutch out (not pop the clutch or slowly let out, just normal let out). If the car doesn't stall, the clutch is slipping.

Old 08-09-13, 11:24 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Classic symptoms of a worn clutch.

Old 08-10-13, 05:28 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
just had another thought if there isnt proper clearence between the release arm and the slave cyl. this could cause slippage also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: