Do I need to bleed power steering system after minor repair?

Old 08-13-13, 06:12 AM
Do I need to bleed power steering system after minor repair?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. Last night, I did a minor repair on the power steering: replaced plastic/teflon washer where pressure hose hooks up to pump and replaced the section of rubber return line hose.

I didn't drain out all the old power steering fluid or do any proper bleeding procedure. I just turned the steering wheel a bunch of times and topped off the power steering reservoir. If it is important for me to do this, is there another method to drain refill, and bleed the system without disconnecting the return line underneath the reservoir?That return line is very difficult to get off. I had to cut off the old one.

Also, when I put on the new plastic washer I had to force it past the threads on the tube nut, It looks like it became a little deformed in the process. Will this washer hold or should I substitute something else?

I can't check this till tonight. My employer IT department blocked this website for whatever reason?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Is the washer holding and not leaking??? Then leave it and just keep an eye on it...

The only way I know ro get the air out is turning the wheel lock to lock a couple times...you know you have air if there are dead spots when the wheel is turned.

At least thats my experience...

If you plan on keeping the vehicle get yourself a haynes repair manual... Found at most auto parts stores...

Old 08-13-13, 06:44 AM
I drove it last night and it worked fine. And there were no leaks where I did repairs.
But this morning I see a puddle of power steering fluid on the garage floor?

Old 08-13-13, 07:54 PM
Yeah, it's definitely leaking because I forced the nylon gasket over the tube nut threads and it deformed the gasket. I am told that you have to put these nylon gaskets in hot water first to make them pliable so these will seal better.