Vibration only while breaking

Old 09-08-13, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Vibration only while breaking

The service van I drive (2006 Ford E250) shakes pretty bad when I break from highway speeds. Figured it was the rotors were warped so picked up some replacements. However the auto parts place sold me the wrong part as this van has a hub assembly that rides on the spindle.

Discouraged, I put it back together and put a dial indicator on it and found that both sides only have about .003 variance around the rotor. Can only .003 make that much shaking? It shakes the whole van and steering wheel. Everything else on the front wheels seems tight.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds more like a linkage problem in the steering. Idler arm??? Tie rods? Not sure what the Ford have... Just throwing things out there, but I dont think .003 will cause that..

How about bearings? Not tight enough?

Old 09-08-13, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
As I said, everything else seamed tight and I could not get any slop with the wheel off the ground.

There is no vibration when driving, only when breaking.

Old 09-08-13, 12:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a steering stabilizer shock on the 250? I believe you have a slight warpage in the disks, and it is being amplified to the other steering components and only a stabilizer shock would dampen it. Reason I say it, my wife's Grand Cherokee shimmies if you hit an odd place in the road, like at a bridge-to- road seam that is uneven. Shop guy said a stabilizer shock would help.

Old 09-08-13, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think so. I might look into that.

I found a store that said they could turn them after calling three different ones. Measured them before hand so they couldn't tell me they were too thin. The guy started to, but I pulled out my paper with the specs and my measurements I took with my caliper and pretty much told him you have .080 so you have plenty.

Repacked the bearings, which I figured it was a good idea anyway and is why I got them turned. Got it all assembled and took it for a short test drive, seems to be better. We'll see after a morning rush hour.

Old 09-08-13, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
New brakes? I think they need to set in... I had that issue on the wifes car when I did not cut the rotors and just put pads on....

Old 09-08-13, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Nope. Same breaks, pads and rotors. Just needed to do something about the vibration before I ended up in the ditch.

Old 09-08-13, 04:54 PM
Rotors need to be resurfaced if within spec and pads replaced. Clean up the calipers and lubricate the sliders also. Not only can the issue be warpage, but also buildup of material that becomes imbedded into the rotor surface.

Old 09-13-13, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
** update **

Well, after a weeks worth of driving everything seems to be much better.

Equinox - I will heed your advice and clean and lube the calipers. Thanks.

Old 09-13-13, 03:20 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if you found a caliper getting sticky.