'94 F150 5.8L suddenly no ignition spark

Old 10-02-10, 12:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'94 F150 5.8L suddenly no ignition spark

My brother's 1994 F150 5.8L was working fine except for a little miss that had developed recently. The other day after work it started normally as he was leaving. Then had to run back in office to leave something, and back out to the truck. When he went to start again all it did was crank a good strong crank but no sign of ignition spark. His co-worker put a plug wire ignition tester lite on the coil wire and verified no spark. Tested on another vehicle and the tester worked.

He has replaced the coil thinking it died, but the problem remains. He will replace the condenser from the dealer next which the parts store didn't have initially.

Could the distributor with a bad PIP cause the same sudden no spark problem? How about the ignition Module? What else could he check along the lines of elimination?

Old 10-02-10, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just another shot in the dark, but you were checking the secondary. Did you check voltage at the primary? If there is no voltage there, My bet would be on the ignition module. Have you had the codes pulled, yet? Maybe you could borrow someones code reader and find out what is awry.

Old 10-03-10, 04:22 PM
This is my truck my brother posted about.

Today we changed the guts of the distributor (PIP/stator?) and tried no results. Verified no spark with a timing light on coil wirte from new coil.

Did the pull the SPOUT plug too but nothing.

I have a scantool I've used many times and tried earlier today with no success at all. Usually I would here some clicking as it would be doing the test, but no noise, and zero codes. Basically wasn't reading anything.

Is there anything else to check, or no it's gotta be the computer? If so, what is the price range new, or where would I look for a reman or used one? What do I use number-wise to ensure i get the right one for:
1994 F-150 5.8L 4x4 ext cab shortbed.

Old 10-04-10, 04:34 PM
Turn the key on, Does the Check engine light Illuminate?????

No clicks, taps or rattles when running Ford Diagnostics is usually a sure sign that ECM is not getting powered up. You will be looking in the ECA relay Area.

Also. Negative battery cable, Approx. 6" from the negative terminal is a Ground disconnect.....Make sure it is clean and tight.

Old 10-07-10, 07:22 PM
As Chandler said,, have you checked voltage to the Primary??? One side should have a constant 12 volts, & the other should have a flashing 12 volts while cranking the engine & testing it with a test light,, Let us know what you find,,,, Roger

Old 09-05-13, 02:47 PM
S
Same problem

My 1995 F150 has the same problem. Only when I put a test light to the primary both sides give me a constant light. Neither will flash.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: