I'm asking my truck for a divorce.

Old 10-07-13, 07:31 PM
I'm asking my truck for a divorce.

Geez................something else now with this old truck (92' Ranger with 2.9 V6 and 4WD. I was having the steering linkage checked today and the guy said the front bearings are too loose. He showed me. He says it is common on my make/model, that technicians won't turn it one more notch because they're afraid it will be too tight and burn up the bearings.

This isn't the first time the bearings were too loose because other mechanics agreed. This current guy says you can't properly re-adjust by turning just the outer bearing. He says it has to be taken apart and both inner and outer bearings have to repacked and adjusted. If this correct? If so, then I'll just have to insist the first repair place redo it. The brakes and bearings were just done a few months ago so they're still under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-13, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
When the hubs were off both the inner and outer bearings should have been cleaned and re-packed. However, I'm not sure of two adjustments. I'm only aware of the outer nut that sets against the washer against the outer bearing.

Maybe it's a 4WD thing that I'm not aware off.

Old 10-08-13, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had several old ford 4x4s although not that particular model. I don't recall any adjustment for the inner bearing. It does take a special socket to adjust the bearings. I've never left the bearings loose and don't understand why they would have to although you definitely don't want to overtightened them.

Old 10-08-13, 07:17 AM
Well, they cleaned and repacked all the bearings. They just left them loose. He is saying all need to be repacked now because the loose bearings didn't keep all the grease packed in. Is this correct?

But am I understanding correctly that tightening the outer bearing will essentially adjust inner bearings too?

Old 10-08-13, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Loose bearings will use up wheel bearing grease so it would be smart to repack them. When the outer bearing is adjusted correctly - the inner bearing will also be tight.

Old 10-08-13, 10:15 AM
Good to know. The 2nd mechanic showed me excessive wobble with the wheels. The bearings were repacked this summer, so I assume there has been enough time for grease to vaporize.

i just want to sound competent if I ask them to repack the bearings under warranty since there is some labor involved with that. They are highly rated by consumers, so I hope they don't give me a hard time.