marine/rv battery and trickle charger


  #1  
Old 10-13-13, 07:50 PM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 7
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
marine/rv battery and trickle charger

Had my pop up truck camper in outdoor storage for just the past 5 weeks. Only electrical draw was CO/propane sensor. When I checked on the camper a few days ago my 1 yr old HD 24 -DP Interstate battery seemed quite dead. LEDs in camper wouldn't work.
I now have the battery at home with a trickle charger on it for about 72 hours. No indication that the battery is charged yet. Will it eventually charge or do I need to bring into a service station for a stronger charging?
Thanks.
Jerry
Boise
 
  #2  
Old 10-13-13, 07:58 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 62,195
Received 1,531 Votes on 1,414 Posts
Usually those sensors are two separate units and they are quite the power pigs. I was just working on a motor home today. I think the combined draw is almost a 1/2 of an amp.

You may need to charge your battery at a high rate to get it back to normal. Be sure not to boil it.
 
  #3  
Old 10-13-13, 08:08 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,159
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
yes you need to hit the batt with 15 volts or so, The trickle may not be enough. You may need to burn off the sulfur.

Best to get a 3 stage or 4 stage charger...

Read here and hit all areas. Post back with any questions.

RV Tech Library - Batteries
 
  #4  
Old 10-13-13, 08:15 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 10,198
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
You would do well to check the voltage on the battery with a volt meter.

It is possible that your charger needs a certain voltage level on it before it will begin charging.
This is a safety feature to prevent shorting of the clips or if connecting to a shorted battery.

If the battery voltage went below 10.5 volts it could have been damaged to where it will have lost some capacity.
If the voltage went below around 8 volts it will be a total write-off!
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: