Subaru Outback Towing Capacity

Old 11-14-13, 07:36 AM
Subaru Outback Towing Capacity

I'm considering buying a new Subaru Outback partly because it has a towing capacity rated at 2700 lbs. I'm worried that once I purchase it, I will find out that I won't be able to tow a small RV trailer that weighs 1800-2000 lbs. I have no experience in the world of campers. Can someone please advise me about this? Thanks! Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Personally I would consider an Outback to a marginal towing vehicle. OK for short trips around town with a small trailer of mulch for Saturday yard work but not good for pulling a camper. Keep in mind that 2'700 is the maximum towing capacity. I don't like to run any machine at it's maximum capacity for long unless it's specifically designed to do it. You also have to consider the weight of everything else you will put in the car and trailer; people, luggage, fuel, food, water... If you do decide to go with the Outback and will be towing your camper a lot you may consider having brakes added to the trailer which would greatly improve your ability to safely stop since you will be pushing the upper weight limit for the vehicle.

Old 11-14-13, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You would be far better off picking something with rear wheel drive when it comes to towing.
I used to have a Subaru wagon and towed a pop up camper with it.
If it was raining and you were going up a hill I had to put it in 4 wheel drive because the tires slipped so bad.