Zerk Fittings, How often to oil?

Old 11-21-13, 08:04 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Zerk Fittings, How often to oil?

I am about to put aftermarket polyurethane sway bar links (bushings at sway bar connection and balljoint at lower control arm connection) on my pickup and they have Zerk fittings (Raybestos 5451512). I have no clue what type of grease to use or how often I need to grease them. Should they already come greased? Should I apply some lithium grease to the outside of the bushings where they contact the metal washers to prevent squeaking?

Last edited by mossman; 11-21-13 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 08:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Not sure what kind of grease gun you have for your diff - does it take a grease cartridge or bottled gear oil? I usually grease any fittings when I change the engine oil.

Old 11-21-13, 08:24 AM
M
I went ahead and bought another just to be sure:

Lincoln Lubrication 1134 Heavy Duty Pistol Grip Grease Gun with Whip Hose and Rigid Pipe : Amazon.com : Automotive

So this gun takes grease cartridges then? What type of grease do I use for the balljoints in the end links?

Old 11-21-13, 08:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Yes, that's the type of gun you need, they take grease cartridges that you can buy at any auto parts store, dept or tractor store. While there are different types of grease you can buy the cheaper ones are good for most applications. You can buy the flexible hose. The rigid one just unscrews and the flexible hose will screw on in it's place.

Old 11-21-13, 08:55 AM
M
I cancelled that order and got the one with the flexible hose. What type of grease do I need? General multi-purpose? I have a cartridge of white lithium grease. Will this suffice? It's only a sway bar link after all. Lastly, should the links already come greased?

Old 11-21-13, 09:32 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
General multi-purpose is about all that I use, and have never had a problem that I believed to be due to improper lubricant. In my opinion, Lincoln is one of the best guns there is. For applications such as front axles on riding mowers, wheel barrow axles, and things like that, I watch for grease to start to come out, and stop. On applications such as tie rod ends, etc., I watch for the boot to just start to swell, and stop; too much grease on such applications can unseat or split the boot. When you change cartridges, there is typically a fair amount left inside the old one. I hold onto those, rahter than immediately throwing them away, and use a putty knife to transfer the remaining grease to another cartridge or a tub.

Old 11-21-13, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I cancelled that order and got the one with the flexible hose. What type of grease do I need? General multi-purpose? I have a cartridge of white lithium grease. Will this suffice? It's only a sway bar link after all. Lastly, should the links already come greased?
The literature that comes with your kit should indicate which type of grease to use. Some manufacturers I've seen recommend lithium based grease for urethane bushing.

You might check out How to Properly Grease a Polyurethane Bushing?

The definitive answer would come from the maunufacturer's literature.

Old 11-21-13, 05:20 PM
M
The definitive answer would come from the maunufacturer's literature.
Didn't see any literature on their website and I don't expect to receive any with the part. It's one of those things where they assume you know what you are doing if you bought the part. I emailed customer service, so we'll see what they say.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: