2004 Dodge Dakota power lock issue

Old 12-20-13, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2004 Dodge Dakota power lock issue

2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V8. Drivers side door will not unlock with remote, or with the door lock switch, however it will lock with remote and switch. I tried unhooking the battery, and this did not reset anything. Anyone know what parts I will need, and a good site to get them from?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Might not be any parts needed. Very likely just a broken wire. Pretty common occurrence for power door locks and windows. Especially on the drivers side which normally gets more use than any other door.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

You'll have to access the bundle or wires which run into the door from the body.

Old 12-20-13, 08:04 AM
Yes I have a meter and know how to use it. What do I need to do?

Old 12-20-13, 08:07 AM
OK now it works??? Wow you really are a super moderator with super powers! I should take a look at it thought. Where do I start?

Old 12-20-13, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
You'll need to get the wiring diagrams to find the color codes. Autozone has them online, or most repair manuals will have them. Library may have some as well.

You'll probably need to pull the interior door panel to access the plug ends.

I have to tell you, it can be a real PITA to track these kind of things down. The problem rarely jumps out at you as the wires are broken internally and covered by the insulation. Occasionally, you'll get lucky and it's just a corroded or loose connection.

Thats the first step. Remove and inspect all connections.

Old 12-21-13, 01:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
2004 Dodge Dakota 4 door

It's been a while since I've worked on one but it's not a wiring problem. Door locks are two wire devices. The 12vdc is applied in one direction to lock and the opposite polarity to unlock.
So if you had a broken wire it wouldn't lock or unlock.

If the other three doors are working ok without problem then my guess is the drivers door lock motor or possibly binding linkage.

Old 12-21-13, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Oops...appears PJ is exactly right. Just looked at the wiring diagram at Autozone. Looks like the same signal feeds from the control module to all the locks for locking but the driver's has a separate line for unlocking. If it's not the motor or linkage, you could have a bad control module which probably would be a bit pricey.

Hey PJ, just wondering, what if the motor is grounded by the case and the voltage applied to one of the lines drives it in the correct direction? I mean, instead of using the other line as a return path? Possible?

Old 12-21-13, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
If one of the motor leads was grounded..... the motor would work in one direction and blow a fuse in the other direction.

Old 12-21-13, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry, I didn't mean a grounded lead...I meant the case/body being grounded.

Old 12-21-13, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
The case of the motor (if it's metal) is probably grounded. That won't affect anything.

These are brush type DC motors. Since they are operated by two wires... in one direction one of the leads is ground and the other is hot. When the direction is changed.... the wires change polarity.

That means in one direction one wire is hot and when reversed the other wire is hot...... so if anything was touching ground.... it would cause a direct short in one of the directions.

With some vehicles.... when you push the unlock button..... just the drivers door unlocks.
A second press unlocks the rest. I don't think this vehicle follows that.

Can you confirm that 2004Dakota ?

Old 12-24-13, 06:37 PM
You are correct, one press locks, unlocks all doors. I had another anomaly, but I do not think it is tied to the door lock. My drivers side headlight was out both hi and low beam. I was pushing the socket on the door arm rest (it does not click in, just sits in the holder because the clips are broke) and the headlight started working. What's up with that?

Old 12-24-13, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like the Ghost of Christmas past.

one press locks, unlocks all doors.
That means all door lock motors are tied together in parallel. That pretty much confirms that the problem is in the motor or linkage.

Old 12-25-13, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Odd the AZ wiring diagram shows a separate line to the drivers door for unlock. Both my vehicles are 1 push for driver door, 2 for all doors. A 2001 Mazda Tribute and a 2004 Suzuki Verona. Neighbors Chevy truck and Honda CRV are the same way.

Anyway...still gonna take some troubleshooting with the panel off I'd guess.

Old 12-26-13, 03:49 PM
I think I can set mine up to work like yours - one press drivers two all doors. It seems to be working now, I will just let it go and keep an eye on it.

Old 12-26-13, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
I have two wiring diagrams for that truck. One shows all door locks controlled together and the other shows the drivers door unlocking first. If you do indeed have the system where you can unlock the drivers door first..... then you have an issue with the BCM (body control module).
It would be a defective relay or solder connection to the relay. That's not usually a consumer repair job.

Old 12-30-13, 05:50 PM
Could it be the socket and plug on the drivers door arm rest? I have not had any more issues (knock on wood) since I have pressed the plug back into the socket.

That would be my luck though, that it is not a repair I could do myself.

Old 12-30-13, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think it was a loose plug issue.....so keep knocking

Old 01-25-14, 10:30 AM
Finally Fixed

I took it to the dealer, It was the CTM internal failure. Glad I did not try this on my own. They also had to reprogram my remotes.

Old 01-25-14, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for stopping back and leaving us an update.