2008 ford F250 5.4 - wont turn over

Old 02-02-14, 11:20 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2008 ford F250 5.4 - wont turn over

I have a 2008 ford F250 5.4
I was leaving the store tonight and turned my key as usual and nothing happened. No clicking, no electronic noise, it was absolutely quiet. All my lights came on and seemed as bright as usual. I removed the positive terminal from the battery and cleaned it because it looked excessively corroded and replaced that, and the same thing, nothing. I tapped gently on the starter (it worked on another ford truck starter I used to have) and nothing. I ended up calling a tow truck to get it home. One more weird thing that might be nothing is the N - neutral indicator light stays light up after everything's turned off. It's very dim but obviously on. Any ideas?
Thanks very much.

Old 02-03-14, 04:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Possible the safety switch is stuck making the computer think you are in a drive gear. Curious, though, that the indicator says "Neutral" which should allow it to crank.

As an afterthought, check your brake lights; on some vehicles the safety circuit goes through the brake light switch so you have to depress brake to crank. Don't know if a Ford truck falls into that category or not.

Old 02-03-14, 05:02 AM
F
I went out to try to crank it and the 'N' was still lit up very very dim. That light is so dim that if you weren't looking for something wrong you probably wouldn't even notice it, but it is there. When I turned the key on everything lit up strong and normal and the indicator reads the battery is fully charged, but again nothing happened when I tried to crank it. I tried cranking it in park and neutral and tried it with the brakes - without the brakes, and in every configuration I could think of. Still nothing.

Old 02-03-14, 06:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
You might try shorting out the solenoid and see if it turns the engine over. If it does, that would rule out the starter itself. I haven't a clue about the neutral light.

Old 02-03-14, 09:14 AM
F
I tried to short the solenoid but nothing happened beside a few sparks. Before that I tapped on the starter and then turned the key and it kind of made a half attempt to turn over and stopped, though I've tried that numerous times since and haven't been able to reproduce it. I hooked my battery charger up to it and it showed that the battery was fully charged, I cleaned both pos/neg terminals very well and made sure the cables were secured to the battery good. When I turn the key on I can hear a click in the relay sensor and in the starter itself. The sound I hear in the starter is just a quick click and not a hum or buzz. Just a click and off until I turn the key off and then back on.

Last edited by Fade; 02-03-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:45 AM
Received 111 Votes on 98 Posts
I think you may eventually learn that the battery is not at full charge like you think or that the battery is bad. How old is the battery? The corroded terminals may have prevented the battery from receiving a charge from the alternator. Have you tried jumping it from another vehicle?

Old 02-03-14, 09:53 AM
F
Yeah A guy tried to jump me off Last night soon after I realized it wouldn't turn over with no effect at all. We messed with it for maybe 15 minutes or more and tried everything related to that with nothing.

Old 02-03-14, 10:23 AM
F
A friend is on the way over to give me a ride to the parts store to have my starter tested. I guess I will take my battery too just in case.

Old 02-03-14, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
You might also remove the serpentine, if equipped, or other belts to make sure all the accessories turn freely. Could be you have a locked up accessory.

Old 02-03-14, 08:45 PM
F
Sounds like there is some "connection" (solenoid, relay, or whatever the solid state version of these things are) that is failing to do it's job and allow power to get to the starter.
Reason I say that, is that if all else checks out, and you hear no sound, then the circuit is dead.
All starters that have locked up on me would let you know w/o a doubt with all the wailing from one trying to turn over but couldn't - anything BUT quiet.

Good luck!!

Old 02-04-14, 02:40 PM
F
I'm still working on it. I had to take a break and go to work. There was this heat shield wrapped around the factory starter and was almost impossible to move out of my way so I could get to one of the upper bolts. wow. I wasn't expecting it to be this difficult to get the starter out. Hope that's what my problem is!!!
I will post what I find later. Thanks for all the help.

Old 02-04-14, 04:56 PM
F
It was the starter. It's turning over and cranking fine now.

I finally got the old original starter out, It tested bad, I got the new one installed just after dark tonight. That upper bolt was tough coming out but went back in easy.

Now that I can hear the new starter, I can tell the old one had a funny sound but I guess I just got used to it.

Anyway, I'd like to thank everybody that posted trying to help me. It really helped.
Thanks.

Old 02-05-14, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Glad you got it fixed Has your neutral light gone out now?

Old 02-08-14, 08:09 AM
F
Thanks Marksr. The first few days I didn't get a chance to look because it has to be dark to see but a few days ago I did get that chance and I thought it was out but last night I saw the light on the N again. Maybe I'm just seeing things. I'm going to watch it when I can over the next few weeks and see if it might be intermittent. I don't know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: