Seafoam

Old 03-09-14, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Seafoam

I've been having a good time "tuning up" my 02 F150 that has 259,000 miles. I've already replaced the plugs, wires and coil pack, which fixed the misfire situation. Took the throttle body off yesterday, cleaned it up, took off the EGR and ensured it was opening and closing when vacuum was applied... checked to see that its ports were not clogged with carbon. Cleaned the MAF and the air intake, inspected air filter, etc. I kind of forgot how fun it was to actually have time to tinker with something.

Well anyway, my question had to to with everyone's opinion on the use of Seafoam in the vacuum ports, oil, and fuel. Would you say that it's useful? I mean watching some of the youtube videos, the combustion sure generates a lot of smoke, but is it really doing anything? I mean, injecting antifreeze into the vacuum ports would probably generate a lot of smoke too, but is the Seafoam actually doing anything helpful or is it just for show?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had a friend who injected STP gas treatment into his vacuum lunes with a syringe. He swore by it. Neighbors liked it 'cause no mosquitoes for a week. I use it in my Ram 3500 Cummins, oil and fuel. Since it is turbo charged, it is a positive pressure engine. 431,000 miles, I don't use too many additives.

Old 03-10-14, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Even if it's just for show, I have a lot of fun running a can of Seafoam through an engine

Old 03-12-14, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
LOL @ mitch17 Yeah it was kind of fun. I was a bit disappointed though. Nothing like the videos I saw. I must put too many highway miles on my truck because it really didn't smoke much at all... not like some of the videos I saw where the neighbors were cursing at the guy working on his truck... LOL

I put 5 oz into the brake booster vacuum hose and it smoked some.... but after waiting 5 minutes, I expected to pretty much fog the whole parking lot and it wasn't that impressive. Makes me sad. LOL

Old 03-12-14, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
A whole 5 oz. That's it ?

Old 03-12-14, 10:49 PM
Group Moderator
Well, I thought I was just following the directions!

Old 08-03-14, 11:51 AM
I kept sucking up Seafoam until it finally did smoke.... I used a whole can, my car is 14 yrs old.... ran awesome after that