Battery going dead

Old 04-19-14, 06:30 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Battery going dead

2000 Z71 last summer my trailer lights were not working.. This fellow at work told me o we do that easy so we did.. He got them going. I use this truck and trailer ONLY to pull my lawn mowers to church to mow the yards which takes 4 1/2hrs..
Been doing it a few years.. ANYWAY he got them working. Well next time I got in the truck to go mow the battery was DEAD.. I jumped it off I asked him he said I dunno all I done was connect wires. This was getting about the end of the season.
I had about 4 5 more trips so I would disconnect the battery when I got home so next time I go it would start..
Now I use the truck only for this I go 12 miles total a week.. So it sets all winter I did disconnect the cables from both sides..... Well last month I hook em up jump it off.. I disconnect all the trailer wires I took the battery to wall mart they check it and tell me its got a bad cell.. I get a brand new battery..

Ok Im back home with my new battery I go mow one time I come back.
The next Friday I got to mow and the battery is DEAD... O me..
A new battery...
so it jump it off run down the road charge it up its now hot I go mow come back... Start it 4 days later it is DEAD... Next day I JUMP it drive it and I check it a few days and it starts.. Now Im selling this truck.. This morning I start it take to the front yard put a for sale sign on it.. This morning I go start it and bring it back it up to the house to wash it... I wash it and it sets there about 3 hrs I try to start it and ITS DEAD.. Yesterday I looked for any lights left on I saw nothing,
I have now started it about 4 other times and it starts.

How do I figure how to find out what is draining this???
Its for sale and driving me nuts.

Dave
Tennessee

Old 04-20-14, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
When the trailer wires were worked on was it just on the trailer? You might drive down to Autozone [or elsewhere] and have them check your alternator. Sometimes a bad alternator will discharge once the vehicle is turned off.

Old 04-20-14, 04:45 AM
F
Does this problem go away when you have the trailer lights disconnected during the time you leave it sitting? If so, then that's the problem.

Next, we'll assume that you've checked, cleaned, and tightened the pos. and neg. battery cables at both ends. We'll also assume that the alternator drive belt is in good shape and properly tightened.

Now, are you checking the battery with a volt meter? If not, you can get a cheap one from Harbor Fr*ight Tools (for ~ $3). You can also buy a cheap and easy to use LED battery/charging system tester for less than $10 at most auto parts stores.

Your battery shouldn't read below ~ 12.2 volts with the engine off and should read anywhere from 13.2 - 14.2 or so volts with the engine running (@ 1500 to 2000 rpm).

If the above tests out OK, then suspect the starter and/or starter solenoid. Sometimes you can lightly tap on the starter with a soft mallet as simple means of testing it and the solenoid (if it starts after you tap it, then suspect a bad starter and/or sol).

Old 04-20-14, 05:58 AM
F
Yes i disconnected the trailer wires when i put on the new battery. I will check the others
I went to get the paper this morning and it started.

Old 04-20-14, 12:19 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Battery

I am thinking you need to drive a longer distance to fully charge the battery. Too much starting and not enough driving.

Old 04-20-14, 01:18 PM
F
Not my problem any more first man looked at it and bought it..
Thank you folks anyway

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: