Question regarding transporting gas

Old 05-08-14, 09:40 PM
Question regarding transporting gas

This is a general question not sure if it fits in that category or not. That would apply to Canadian rules and regulation since I'm from Toronto but any opinions are welcomed. I have to carry some jerrycans (1 10L and 1 25L) to fill a portable generator that I use for various on-site jobs. My question is, is it safe to carry gas and leave it at the back of my Ford E-350 for long periods of time? Sometimes I can drive 2 to 3 hours to get on a jobsite. According to transport Canada as long as the canister is approved, not damaged, not missing parts and that it's safely secured it's good but there's no mention if gas can be transported in a closed environment like the back of a E350. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
In a proper and secured container.... it shouldn't make any difference.

I carry gas for my generators in 5 gallon cans in my E350 vans. I've never had a problem. I do not leave it in there unless it's needed and it's never in there when the van interior gets hot.

Old 05-09-14, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I only carried gas occasionally in my old work van but always had a 5 gallon can of paint thinner in there. You want to make sure you have the can closed up good! the fumes can accumulate inside the van

Old 05-09-14, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
I do not know Canadian regulations but it is very commonly done and I believe that is the intended usage for a portable fuel container, so I'd think you are good.

It's common here because of all the logging to see trucks transporting fuel for the equipment. As long as the fuel tank in the back of the truck is not connected to the truck's fuel system the tank does not need to comply with Dept of Transportation (DOT) regulations and is free from most/all regulation. If you connected your fuel cans to feed your truck so you could drive long distances without stopping then I think you would be opening a can of regulatory worms.

Old 05-09-14, 11:20 AM
what would be the best plastic or metal jerrycans? Here's the thing the 25L would stay in the truck for long periods of time as it's a pain to move around don't know if that can be an isssue or not!!!

Old 05-09-14, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
25L is about 6-1/2 gallons. That shouldn't be a problem. I only use plastic as the metal cans can rust.