1984 C10 Restore...Beginner needs advice

Old 05-27-14, 03:15 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1984 C10 Restore...Beginner needs advice

My father n law gave me a 1984 chevy c10 custom deluxe stepside. Has a 41.l l6 and a 3 speed on column, The truck is very rough, has been sitting for over a decade.....but its free. Im a beginner when it comes to vehicles, i mean i can do the basic stuff: brakes, oil changes, shocks, electrical work etc. Not sure where to begin or if its even worth restoring. I figured it was a good truck to learn on. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Recommend any good reads. I figure that i would make a list of everything it needs to get road worthy and then go from there. Here is some pics and i apologize for all the junk, my father n law uses it as storage lol

Attached Images           
Old 05-27-14, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Remember, things that are free, are worth every penny of it. It is really going to depend on if you have a place that you can restore it, like a well equipped garage. Oil, grease, mud and water just don't get it. Also, will it start? Your priority will be to check to see if all the parts are with it. It looks as if parts have been dumped in the bed. Be prepared to spend some serious money getting it back in operating condition, and even more to make it "pretty".

Old 05-27-14, 05:51 PM
R
Yeah i understand your point. lol The parts in the back of the truck are just random junk except for extra bed fenders and extra tailgate. Ill check all the wiring, clean the carb, hook a battery up, fresh gas and see if she'll start. Ill just give it a run through and see what parts ill need to replace to get it running. According to my father n law, everything is on it and has never been removed.

Old 05-28-14, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Vehicles in worse shape get fixed up all the time. I agree having a roof to work under is best but a lot of the work can be outside - just not as comfortably! and the weather will dictate when you can work on it.

IMO the biggest downside to fixing up the truck is the 3 speed tranny which will hurt some in the gas mileage department ...... well maybe also the fact that it's a chevy - I'm a ford guy

Old 05-28-14, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Your location, Ronald? Just wondering if it is, or has been, a northern-driven vehicle, i.e. does it have road-salt cancer underneath.

Among other things plan on anything rubber needing replacing - engine hoses/tubing, brake hoses, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, etc.

Agree with Mark [well, maybe except the Chevy crack; MY Chevy has 670,000 miles on it]. Two biggest issues? Money and motivation/dedication. I see vehicles every single day that are being "restored"; 99% of them are about 10% restored and holding.

Old 05-28-14, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
If you are looking for a experience this would be a god project but as said, this will be an expensive project and would take tons of hours to even get it roadworthy.

Other than the fact this is a stepside, there is nothing special about this vehicle.
A different project that might make more sense is to locate and buy a similar regular box truck that is road ready then restore the box and put it on what you already may be driving.

Old 05-28-14, 08:38 PM
R
yeah i do plan on putting in an automatic, of course thats a ways down the road. I do live up north so rust is an issue. I plan on taking off the bed and cab to sand and paint the frame. Then from there it would make it easier to work on.

Old 05-28-14, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
yeah i do plan on putting in an automatic,
Oh my..why? I would never... 3 on the tree was the best. Had a 69 chevy c10 with a 283. Fuelie head. I ate vettes with that truck... Although that was 1984 and vettes were slow back then...he he...

If you did not shift the pattern right the linkage locked up. Only way to fix was to pull over and lift the hood. Pull the linkage back, and drive on..

Heck thats all the fun...

I would just see if you can get it running.. If so check the brakes and fix that department. Change all fluids and just get it drivable..

Then do nothing else but drive it...

Hey its original. Thats how it should stay....

Here is an 84 for 8k... Bet they never get it...

1984 Chevrolet C10 1984 Chevrolet Stepside C-10 For Sale | OldRide.com

Here is what my 69 looked like,,, exact colr and whitewalls. The vettes would laugh when I reved it next to them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32450[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-14, 08:34 PM
R
Whats my automatic transmission options and whats involved in converting? I have to get a new rear end also due to mine being locked up. What the best tranny/rear end combo for fuel mileage?

Old 05-31-14, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
3;73's IMO for that truck. Keep 3 speed on the column too....

Old 06-01-14, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
While I prefer a manual transmission, I would want a trans with overdrive - especially if you plan to drive it much!

Old 06-01-14, 12:28 PM
R
So if i decided to get a 700r4 tranny what else would i need to do and what would i neef besides the tranny?

Old 06-01-14, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
So if i decided to get a 700r4
Oh my... I will butt out know after this post probably.. Thats like the 4L60E. Not a very good trans.

I am not sure what you want to do with this truck.. get it to run only?
make it a daily driver?
street and strip?

All the parts are there IMO. Not sure why to spend the money to change things. That 3 speed trans is bullet proof... Thats a muncie 3 speed in there I believe.... M 62???

Can you drive a stick?

I dont now.. Its your project... I guess have fun.

If thats a 6 cyl I would even keep that. so easy to work on and rebuild...

Old 06-01-14, 03:52 PM
R
no, appreciate your input keep it coming. Im really just getting ideas here. Kinda making out a plan. I do want to try and keep everything as stock as possible. I was just told by someone who apparently doesnt know anything that the 700r4 was a better tranny. I have no problem with a manual. I want this to be a daily driver when its all said and done.

Old 06-01-14, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
I was just told by someone who apparently doesnt know anything that the 700r4 was a better tranny.
Daily driver? Keep it stock... Trust me... Even the rear...

If all is good mechanically and you can get it running your costs may well be under 1K to have a daily driver...

Let us know what you encounter as you start...

First off get the motor fired up and running...
All fluid change...
Tires and brakes...

Done IMO... Looks mean nothing to me... Dont worry about paint...The nostalgia is keeping it original............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: