Ford E-250 keyless entry

Old 06-11-14, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Ford E-250 keyless entry

This is my service van for work, Ford E-250. All of a sudden the keyless entry would not work. Figured battery was bad so replaced that, no luck. I tried reprogramming it (8 key cycles on the key, etc) and it would not reprogram. My boss has a similar van (2003 e-350) and we have reprogrammed both fobs so that we can open the doors on both vans. His fob would not open my vans doors, but would open his, so this means something is wrong with my van.

I checked all the fuses and they are all good. The door locks work fine with the buttons in the van. I can not find any info about a keyless entry relay or any troubleshooting info so I have no idea where to start looking. One odd thing that might have something to do with it, my radio reception has seamed to gotten worse on my normal stations I listen to. Does the keyless entry go through the radio?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-14, 07:52 PM
All of a sudden the keyless entry would not work. Figured battery was bad so replaced that, no luck.
You threw me when you said you replaced the battery. My keyless entry keypad has no battery that I am aware of, it works off the vehicle battery.

OR...........

Is this your remote fob that quit working?

Old 06-11-14, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Not a keypad, but it is not the fob either. I tried to program my bosses fob to work on my van, which we have done before (we could open each others van with our own fob). His fob works fine on his van but not mine. It will not even program. The problem has to be in my van.

Old 06-11-14, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
There is a fuse for the RKE module in the fusebox under the hood on the driver's side. It's location A. I circled it in red. May say something about AUX or rear air.

Name:  fuse.JPG
Views: 2884
Size:  42.5 KB

Old 06-18-14, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
As mentioned, all the fuses are good. Tested both the ones under the hood and under the driver side dash.

I have also reprogrammed the fob to open his E350 van (mine is an E250) so I know for sure the fob is good. The issue is my van.

Is there a relay or module someplace I can check? Does the RKE go through the radio? (See earlier post)

Old 06-18-14, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Many times people say I checked all the fuses without realizing that there can be a second and sometimes third fuse box.

The RKE module is a stand alone module. No connection to the radio.

I would check behind the radio and in the passenger side kickpanel.
I also see mention of the module being mounted in the middle of the sidewall.

The module will click when you activate the door locks with the door buttons.

Old 06-18-14, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks! I will have a look see.

Old 06-25-14, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Solved!

Today was cool enough to dig into the dash of the van. (And I was using it today which was a pain!) I finally found the module on the passenger side behind the kick plate mounted high. It was nicely labeled "remote keyless entry/anti-theft" on the box. I inspected the wires and connectors by removing them. Seeing nothing wrong I reinstalled the connectors, and lo and behold the fob works again! Put everything back together and it still works! Perhaps it was a poor connection, or perhaps it just needed a reboot.

Hopefully this will help somebody else.

Thanks PJ.