burner not staying lit on camper refrigerator

Old 06-13-14, 09:06 PM
burner not staying lit on camper refrigerator

I have a 2001 norcold ac/gas frig in my camper. When turning on gas the ignitor keeps clicking burner ignites, after a minute the igniter quits clicking and the flame goes out. It works on ac fine. I have taken burner out and cleaned.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-14, 10:42 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Post the model number for that Norcold unit.

I have the 121X manual sitting right here.

Old 06-14-14, 08:20 PM
model n621 norcold it is ac or gas

Old 06-14-14, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Mike... that unit should give you a trouble code that will tell us what is faulting. If you look in the manual on page 8 - you'll see the codes listed.

Here is the manual for your heater. Download it and print it so you have it.
bryant rv/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

( As always- thanks to Christopher Bryant of Bryant RV services for hosting these service manuals. You rock dude ! )

Old 06-14-14, 09:00 PM
it gives a code F which is no gas or low gas pressure, but the tanks are full and the stove and hot water heater work ok

Old 06-14-14, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... on page 11 it gives you several things to check.

The electrode to burner air gap is important as well as checking the spark/sense electrode
assembly for continuity.

Old 06-14-14, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
The new propane tanks have the float in them. You may need to shut the tank off and try to light the fridge or try to light the stove, then start over. Open the valve slowly!!!!!

Then try to light...

My fridge did not light once and that was the issue. I switched to the other tank and it lit..( I learned the floats often stop the flow of propane...

Furthermore it usually takes 5 trys to get the fridge to light. I continuously have to turn the fridge on and off to reset.

Old 06-15-14, 07:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

Furthermore it usually takes 5 tries to get the fridge to light. I continuously have to turn the fridge on and off to reset.
I too use to have the same problem with refrigerator pilot light. Delayed light up after trailer sits in storage with propane tanks turned off. Refrigerator takes many tries to bleed out the air in the lines before pilot lights and stays on.

Here might be a method that works for me.

Refrigerator is the last gas appliance in the systems fuel line. Just before it is the stove. I use a BBQ handheld lighter to light the four top burners. Doing so bleeds out the air in the lines much quicker. Once all four burners light, then turn of the refrigerator. Two tries lights refrigerator pilot light.

First appliance in the fuel line is water heater. It also then fires up far more quickly too...

Regardless of where the refrigerator is located in the fuel systems line, above tip might still have value for quickly bleeding out air in the lines....

My 2 Cents (˘˘)

Old 06-22-14, 05:24 PM
Been busy, just got around to working on frig. Gap was off so I set the gap. It lit and seem to be doing ok. I was doing some other things on the camper. At around a 1/2 hour I heard the ignitor clicking. This lasted about a minute, then the burner went out. I kept relighting and was just like before, ignitor clicking and burner burning around a minute then goes out.

Old 06-22-14, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
On manual page 11 you will need to follow the troubleshooting tree..........

F/no FL Fault Code – Burner failed to ignite or reignite

Running for a minute sounds like a gas delivery issue. It's not the flame sensor circuit as that would give a different code.