Trailer light problem

Old 06-23-14, 06:15 PM
Trailer light problem

I have a 5x8 ATV trailer with a 4 flat wire setup. The right trailer light stays on even with the key out of the ignition. No right turn signal either. I checked things with a circuit tester and one of the wires coming from the vehicle is hot even with the key out of the ignition. I don't know what to do from there! please help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-14, 01:05 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring on your trailer is pretty much straightforward.
Yellow - left turn
Green - right turn
Brown - parking lights
White - ground

I'm guessing you are trying to connect to or have plugged into a 7 pin trailer plug on the vehicle. With a 7 pin trailer plug... one pin is always live.

You need to tell us what the vehicle is (make-model-year) and how you are connecting to it.

Old 06-24-14, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the response1
my vehicle is a 2011 Subaru Forester and I plug the trailer into a flat 4-wire connector which goes into a "box" and then goes to the car.

Old 06-24-14, 10:56 PM
Group Moderator
That "box" is probably a five wire to a four wire convertor and may be wired incorrectly. That box is needed in vehicles where the stop lights are independent of the directionals.

What's strange is that usually when that box isn't wired correctly the lights don't operate as expected but they don't usually stay on all the time.

This is going to be tough to help you with. A make or model number from that box may help. You will probably need a 12v test light to determine the wiring problem.

Old 06-25-14, 10:12 PM
The box came with the trailer and everything worked last year so I don't think it is the box. I will try to get some numbers off the box.

Old 06-25-14, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
I can't see that box needing a live connection. Usually it just takes the light signals coming in and puts them on the correct wire. It would seem that if one of the wires coming to that box is live than a corresponding light would be illuminated on the vehicle when it shouldn't be.

Any info you can give me would help... especially like the color wires on the box connect to which colors in the car. I can look up the wiring manual and see which wire is live nd maybe we can figure out why.

Old 07-07-14, 08:00 AM
I have 6 wires coming into the box and 4 wires coming out (4 pin flat plug). One of the wires coming out is "hot" even when the ignition in the car is turned off and the right trailer light is on. I have to unplug everything to keep the batter in the car from going dead.
A friend checked it out and says the box (converter) is bad. Is he correct? i can't imagine that it could be anything else.

Old 07-08-14, 12:42 AM
Group Moderator
I would have to "guess" that the box is bad as you didn't leave me any info on it or any wire colors.