Please help me identify this Avalanche part......

Old 07-23-14, 08:31 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help me identify this Avalanche part......

this fell off of my 2002 Chevy Avalanche this morning. Any ideas what it is and how dangerous it is to NOT have it on my vehicle anymore?

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  35.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  38.1 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  27.2 KB

Old 07-23-14, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If it really fell off your vehicle (which I sort of doubt) yes, it's very dangerous. It's part of the suspension/steering. Though it's hard to say exactly what, it looks like it could be part of the center link. It should be very easy to find by getting under the truck with a flashlight.

I'd be very surprised that you wouldn't have noticed screeching and wobble as you drove before it broke off (if it broke off). The ball joint is dry as a bone and very worn.

If you or a friend can't find anything, then have it towed (do not drive it) to a shop with a lift so the can inspect the steering and suspension.

Old 07-23-14, 09:16 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
That appears to be part of a sway bar. They are on front and rear axles. Check both axles for remaining pieces. If sway bar is the case, then you can drive it, but carefully as it will tend to rock like a boat.

RR

Old 07-23-14, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I was thinking sway bar as well ...... but I've never seen one just fall off .... but you do need to check to make sure it's not from your truck.

Old 07-23-14, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen that big a ball joint on a sway bar?? Of course I haven't had a full size truck in a while, either.

When I was looking at the parts diagrams, the shape didn't seem right for a sway bar end.

Visual inspection should find it pretty easy.

Old 07-23-14, 10:18 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Google "panhard rod" to get pics of various styles. I now think it is a panhard rod and will be located behind rear differential.

RR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: