House Batteries

Old 08-05-14, 08:46 PM
House Batteries

I have a small Class C motor home. Last week I checked my house batteries. I have two. The front one needed water, so I filled it with distilled. I checked them again over the weekend, and the front one was very hot. I drove it over to another house and it seemed okay. This evening all my 12 volt was not working at all. I drove it home. I'm thinking my batteries are bad. Has anyone had this kind of problem??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-14, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Most class C motor homes have one starting battery and one house battery.

You mention you have two house batteries but they are in two different locations ?
They are 12v batteries ? So your motor home has three 12v batteries in it..... correct ?

I would say your battery fried due to lack of water but that doesn't explain why the second one didn't work.

Old 08-06-14, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally a battery that is charged a lot needs to have water added on a frequent basis, lack of electolite in the battery will kill one sooner or later. You can take your battery to most any auto parts store and have it tested for free.

Old 08-06-14, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hot battery usually means bad battery or overcharging, Either one needs to be checked usually by a store with equipment to handle this.

Old 08-06-14, 04:54 AM
I have a Chinook Destiny 24 foot class C. It has a single battery for the Chevy drive train and two for the house. They were fairly new when I bought the rig three years ago. I think I'll take it to my local RV sales and have them take a look at it. Thanks a bunch. Peteski

Old 08-07-14, 11:00 AM
I just installed new house batteries this morning after finding the front battery completely dry. I checked them last week, and the front one in my slideout drawer was down in two cells, so I topped them off with distilled water. The front battery was real hot to the touch yesterday evening and looked completely dry. When taking them out, bundled together each post to make it easier to install them back. Now I can't start my genset. The Mark PV Controller is showing charging at 13.4 Volts. How and where do I check out my problem? Any ideas??

Old 08-07-14, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
I assume your batteries are charged by the engine driven alternator when driving. Have you checked it's voltage? A bad voltage regulator could be causing it to overcharge your batteries.

When you say "bundled together" and "Now I can't start my genset" makes me think that something is disconnected. Make sure you did not forget to connect a wire when you did your "bundling".

Old 08-07-14, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
I'm still trying to understand this. You have two batteries for the house. One is in the slideout drawer. Where is the other one ?

It's typical practice to keep two paralleled batteries next to each other so that they charge and discharge evenly.

Old 08-07-14, 06:29 PM
I have one battery for my Chevy chassis. I have two 12 volt batteries in parallel for the RV itself. Installing was, going to be a cinch, so I thought. I tied each "bundle" as I took them off each post. I went back out and checked again, and I don't think anything slipped past me. I guess I'm going to have to get under my rig and check out things under there.

Old 08-07-14, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
You hooked the battery's correctly? + to + .. -to -???

See here and read here..

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

But you apparently have solar so somethings wrong. Wiring? The charge controller itself? Short?

http://specialtyconcepts.com/SPECIAL...SPEC_SHEET.PDF

Old 08-07-14, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
You may have an isolation switch for the house batteries.

Old 08-08-14, 05:09 AM
That's a thought. I'll get into my manual and check it out. I'll let everyone know. I really appreciate all you guys helping.