2003 Chevy S-10 AC dash switch

Old 09-01-14, 11:49 AM
2003 Chevy S-10 AC dash switch

Hello, My 2003 Chevy S-10 with the 4.3l v-6 engine has a problem with the AC control on the dash. This is the dial that controls the max ac, ac, and defrost selection depending on what you want to use. Mine seems to be stuck on the max ac spot, because when I move the dial to the other selections it doesn't change at all. Because I live in Florida I'm ok with max ac right now but eventually I will need the defrost. I can see the back of the dial through a slot in my dash right above it and it looks like it might just be an electrical switch of some sort that might just be malfunctioning. Are those replaceable, and is that a item that I can get at auto parts stores or is it a dealer item?

Thank, Fritoguy15

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-14, 04:50 PM
Sound like the blower motor resistor went and needs to be replaced

Old 09-03-14, 05:50 AM
I ordered the new part, turns out you replace the whole panel, it's all one piece for all 3 dials. 😃

Old 09-10-14, 12:43 PM
Ok, I got the part to replace the switches on the dash. It turns out all 3 switches are one part. So after the install I still seem to have the same problem. Is it possible I need to unhook the battery for awhile to reset something or is there something else I need to replace? Where is that blower motor resistor you mentioned, I thought it might be part of the new panel I put in.

Fritoguy15

Old 09-11-14, 12:30 PM
Sounds like a HVAC Mode Door and/or Mode Door actuator problem.

Btw, is this a 4x4?

Old 09-12-14, 12:52 PM
first this is not a 4x4, second if it is what you say it is can I fix that myself and where is that located behind the same dash panel or somewhere else?

Fritoguy15

Old 09-12-14, 03:06 PM
I'd first check the HVAC fuse. Next, if possible, check for any DTCs. If no DTCs are found, then try running the HVAC "self-calibration" procedure as follows (with a good HVAC fuse installed of course);

Make sure that the battery is charged to at least 65% or higher.

Remove the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes.
Install the negative battery term.

Remove the HVAC fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
Install the HVAC fuse.

Start the vehicle.
Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
Verify that no DTCs have set.

Note: It is very important that you DO NOT operate any HVAC control knobs/switches during the self-calibration (re-learn) process (just leave the controls "as they are" during this time).

Old 09-12-14, 05:59 PM
Ok thanks for the info, just one more question, is that fuse located where all the others are or somewhere else. I'll give that a try as soon as I can and let you know how it goes. I'd hate to have to replace the module it looks kind of tricky to get at it down near the floorboard.

Fritoguy15

Old 09-17-14, 08:04 AM
Just thought I'd update, my mechanic found a collapsed vacuum hose under the hood. New hose fixed the problem.