'85 Chevy s10 truck turning signals....

Old 09-12-14, 09:11 AM
'85 Chevy s10 truck turning signals....

So new to your site and SO GLAD to have run across it! Thanks for having me
So, I went for state inspection on an 85 Chevy to start my 17yr out on the road (in something relatively STURDY) and the only issue is the blinkers. Where do I start with that? Fuses? Bulbs? Wiring? Yes, I'm the mom. And used to be pretty handy on older rides. (Changed my own radiator on Dodge, ALWAYS changed my own oil, filter included) But this has me slightly discouraged, as I was injured and don't want to waste time starting at the wrong end of this project, if that makes sense to you guys. Any and ALL help is welcomed and MUCH appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-14, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What is the issue with your turn signals? Do they not light up? or no flash? If none of them light up - check the fuse although it could be bulbs. If they light up but don't flash - you probably need a new flasher [usually a small silver cannister with 2-3 plugs on the end, under the dash]

Old 09-12-14, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Emergency flashers use the turn signals I believe, do those work?

Old 09-12-14, 09:33 AM
Thanks marksr. That's a starting point. I'm not sure about the flashers gunner, they sound as though they are, but 1 light (on flasher panel) stays lit up

Old 09-12-14, 09:36 AM
P.s Sry bout the name chg gunguy I'll get better at this, I'm sure

Old 09-12-14, 09:41 AM
There seems to be an issue at the wheel when I go to use them. The lever? doesn't stay in position, and all bulbs seem to work, sometimes. I'm baffled

Old 09-12-14, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
If this truck has been sitting for a while the switch contacts and bulb sockets can be corroded. It does sound like the turn signal switch in the column could be a big issue. Not really a simple repair. Normally need a puller and I'm sure this has an airbag as well. Special precautions need to be taken.

If the emergency flashers work (turn them on and get out to visually inspect) then it's not bulbs, sockets, or wiring. Normally the flasher for emergency and turn are interchangeable.

Old 09-12-14, 01:47 PM
I think you're probably right, Gunguy45. The poor thing HAS been sitting awhile. I've been a couple of places with it today, AutoZone, Wal-Mart lube xpress, and Mike's Transmissions (& stuff), and the bulbs are fine. Without paying for diagnostic troubleshooting they didn't tell me much of anything. ... sooooo, how much trouble are those pullers to use? :/ And do you know how I can tell if an 85 Chevy has an airbag?
I'm going out to check flashers now! Thx for that tip!

Old 09-12-14, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What does the steering wheel look like? The old type of steering wheel has a small center compared to the ones that have an air bag.

Old 09-12-14, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Oops...I was reading wrong, thought it was a '95. Thats when they started getting them. That will make things easier.

Pullers are easy to use and you can borrow them from many auto parts stores, AutoZone included.

Basic tools will get you to the mechanism, though I can't give you details.

Old 09-13-14, 09:18 AM
AWESOME! I didn't think it had one (airbag) in 85... now if AutoZone is as helpful as they once were, I may have "Jrz Reject" on the road this weekend! Thx again. Btw all bulbs on this 85 lit/flashed when flashers are turned on. Reverse bulb needs replacing tho. Will find out more today. I LOVE THIS SITE! <3 YAY!!!