fabricating a fiberglass front end

Old 09-14-14, 01:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fabricating a fiberglass front end

I have a 1990 Mitsu Montero 2 door as a project 4x4.

I want to fabricate a new fiberglass front end that incorporates both quarter panels and the hood with an induction scoop into a single piece that i can hinge at the front of the truck so the whole front end opens forward--think semi-truck.

I have several questions:

1) First is the obvious question: Is it feasible?

2) I am planning on using the existing body panels as a mold and forming the fiberglass front end over them before I remove them from the car. Is that a sound idea or is there a better way to do it?

3) Whats the best way to reinforce it after I separate it from the mold?

4) Whats the best way to attach it to the frame? I was planning on using jeep door hinges or something similar so that once I lift the hood I can take it off simply by sliding it sideways. I figured two hood catches on either side and two flush hoop pin latches on top would hold it down snug. Does that sound like it will work? Is there any thing else I need to consider?

5) Do you have any suggestions, places to look for more info, good references, etc. that could be of help? I just bought "The Glassfibre Handbook" by JH Warring and will go through it in depth when it arrives but would appreciate other suggestions.

If any of you have done anything similar or know of similar work I would love to see/hear about it to expand my way of thinking about this.

Thanks a lot in advance for your input!

Old 09-14-14, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
First is why would you do this???

What you propose is possible but not a beginner project IMO.
One thing is if you think you are going to use existing panels as a mold the formed piece will not fit because it will be too big.
Another thing against you is cost.
Price out enough glass mat and resin to do this plus all the body shop supplies and paint to finish it and this alone may exceed the value of the vehicle....not to mention a few hundred hours!

Why don't you weld the hood to the fenders and fabricate a support structure and hinge.

Last edited by GregH; 09-15-14 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: