Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

AC Problem 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

10-04-14, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)  
AC Problem 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

An 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi

My problem started a couple of weeks ago. In the afternoon after getting off work. I turned my AC on & let it run a bit before I got in it to go home. 5 minutes later, I get in it & its blowing hot air. I turned the AC off & on a couple of times while driving away. Eventually it started blowing cold air so I figured the switch was just acting up.
A week or so later, the same thing.

Today, I had my little dog with me so I left her in the truck with the doors locked, emergency brake on & the AC running while I ran in the store. I came back out 10 minutes later & the AC was blowing hot air. I turned the AC button on & off but the AC didn't come on. The light on the AC button comes on but it doesn't blow cold air. I turned the temp control knob back & forth from hot to cold thinking maybe the temp switch was acting up.... just trying different things really. Even though the fan was blowing like it should, I turned it off & on, up & down... again, just trying anything. After I started driving down the street, messing with this & that, it started blowing cool again.

I made another stop at my brothers house but only for 5 minutes because I was worried about my dog in the truck. When I came back, again its blowing hot air. I again, piddled with this & that to see if I could get it going. I honestly figured it was low on Freon, but again, I was trying anything I could to try to find the culprit. As I started down the street messing with this & that as mentioned above, it started blowing cold air.

Thinking it was low on Freon, I thought I would stop by & pick up one of those AC recharge kits & fill'er up. I stopped at Auto Zone & told the guy what was happening & he said the condenser fan was not running while idling, therefore it wasnt cooling.

Ok, so whats your diagnosis & whats it gonna take to get this fixed? While I am mechanically inclined & I used to work on our old stuff back in the 60's, 70's & 80's, I know less than zero about AC units, so anything beyond stupid, I'm lost. I guess I can change parts on this thing but I have never put Freon in one & I dont know the high side from the low side etc. I didn't even know it had a condenser fan.... ???

Thanks for any relevant help...

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

10-04-14, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I would first confirm if your compressor is running and working properly when you have the AC selected. Dodges have a problem with the plastic heat blend door breaking and the sensor that helps control it's position can also fail. When they go you can have very erratic heat and AC temp control. You might turn the temp dial and get no change in the temp then it jumps to full hot or cold. It's a bugger to work up under the dash but the parts are much cheaper than an AC compressor.

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

10-11-14, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Well, I thought I would report back. The guy at Auto Zone was right.

I raised the hood, while the truck was idling & the fan wasn't turning. I took a stick & gave it a little push. It just kinda rolled around about 3 or 4 turns & slowly came to a stop. I knew the guy at AZ told me, he thought the fan wasn't turning while at an idle, so I thought I would race up the engine a little & see if it would start to spin... it did not. So, I remember taking a hammer on occasion & bump a bad starter back years ago when it wouldn't turn. So, I got my hammer & lightly tapped on the fan motor about 3 times & it started right up. That was almost a week ago & I haven't had anymore trouble. It works whether idling or at 70 mph on the interstate.

Hope this helps some of you guys down the road

MO

10-11-14, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)  
This is news to me if a V-8 Ram truck has an electric condenser fan motor or is this the radiator fan? I had assumed they had a belt driven fan like most other domestic V-8 trucks. If it is an electric radiator fan, how can you let the engine idle for 10 minutes without the engine overheating?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-11-14, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)  
CJ, I think the OP was referring to the "comressor" not turning, instead of the "fan". Yes the Dodge has a fan run via serpentine belt.

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

10-11-14, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)  
This is an electric fan that is to the left side of the radiator. Its right behind the left / drivers side headlight.. kinda sorta. I would say its in a square fan shroud 10" or so square. It is not run via a belt from the radiator fan or alternator etc. It is a stand alone electric fan with a little radiator looking little kinda thingy in front of it. Hope these pics help

BTW, again, its an '07 Dodge Ram Big Horn Package with the Hemi engine.

Name:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 13451
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1160.jpg
Views: 6534
Size:  35.5 KB

GA

10-11-14, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)  
My mistake. I drive a 2001 Cummins, and we don't have the aux fans. Diesels don't run hot.

Don't know why this would affect A/C unless it is in front of a dedicated cooling radiator. If it your only means of cooling the radiator, then it will affect A/C performance.

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

10-11-14, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)  
You're correct Chandler, it is in front of a dedicated little radiator kinda little thing (condenser?). Its totally separate (as far as I can tell) from the radiator.

Again, I am by far no AC guy, so I cant answer technically, however, my understanding is, this is a dedicated condenser(?) & fan for the AC system. You can see the radiator fan shroud to the right of this (AC) fan shroud. You can see the top radiator hose going to the top left corner of the radiator. Right beside that top radiator hose, you can see an AC hose going to the top right corner of the AC condenser thingy (the thing that looks like a radiator). It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the radiator that holds water & keeps the engine cool. It appears to be a totally separate system for the AC.

I can tell you that while that little fan wasn't working, my AC was blowing hot air unless I was moving down the road at 40+ MPH I would say. Which makes me believe that air needs to move through that condenser (?) for the AC to cool. Any speed less than, say 40 mph, down to an idle, the air conditioner would blow hot air.... if the condenser fan was not running.
As long as that little condenser fan is running... even while the truck engine is idling... the AC works fine.. Cool as a cucumber.

Again, I hope this helps

GA

10-12-14, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)  
Yeah. Glad to have the information. Keep an eye on it, as it could need replacing in a season or so. At least it is not the compressor as we first thought

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

06-06-15, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)  
I'm gonna update this thread for current & future reference if/when somebody might run into this.

I finally (after 8 months) got around to tackling this job. I priced the entire fan assembly as that was all I have see done on Youtube & what everybody indicated I needed to do. However, while I was at the auto parts store, I discovered I could buy just the motor rather than the entire fan assembly.
The entire fan assembly was about $97... the motor was about $25. Either way, I would have to completely remove the entire fan assembly to replace it, or to change the motor. So, since I had to do it any way... the same work & trouble, why not save $70 -$75? So, I bought the motor which consisted of one nut to remove the fan from the assembly, then three screws to remove the motor. Simple, simple......

GA

05-19-17, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)  
Same prob, AC on my 2007 Ram 1500 was not working at low rpm

As mentioned by others, the small fan on my 2007 Ram 1500 located next to the radiator on the driver side was not working at idle.
The compressor only spins intermittently when this fan is not working and, thus, the AC was blowing warm/hot air.
I tapped the back of the fan motor several times with a hammer and the fan started working. AC was great with "in-the-green" refrigerant pressure.
Suspect that after 10 years the brushes in the motor are worn/cruddy/corroded.

Will replace fan motor or assembly soonest. $69.29 for the assy at Advance with TRT30 speedperks code.

GA

05-19-17, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)  
Welcome to the forums! I hope Dixie2012 has conquered his problems in the past 3 years. It is an old thread, but glad you were able to come up with a fix for yours. So simple.

TN

06-07-17, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)  
I owned a 2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 with the 4.7. I also had the same symptom mentioned in this thread where one day the A/C seemed to stop working when at a stand still. When I began driving, the A/C started blowing cold air again.

There was a diagnostic test with the 2002 Ram I had. If you turned the key 3 times from on to off and then let it sit, P codes would display in the odometer.

I wasn't sure what was going on with the A/C but the diagnostic test showed a code displaying a problem with the A/C condenser fan.

For some reason I checked the fuse box and the fuse for the fan was blown. I replaced it and the issue went away for a few years. It did happen again and sure enough the fuse was blown. However the second time it happened the fuse melted itself into the fuse block. I was able to pry it out and get another fuse in there to at least have A/C until I got it home.

The real question was what caused the fuse to blow? I believe it was a faulty motor as described in this thread. Once the motor was replaced, it never burned up a fuse again.

I had that Ram from 2002 - 2014. Great truck. Easy to work on. Had I known what new trucks are like (oil change procedure, repair times) I would have never traded that Ram in.

(As a side note, not to get too off topic. If anyone has a Ram 4x4 with a vibration in the front end that they cannot figure out. Check the front CV axle shafts. A lot of individuals will say it's the tires, A arms, bearings, shocks. But if the truck is 10 years old the front CV axles could be the issue. It took my own diagnosis and convincing 3 different mechanics that was the cause of the vibration at highway speeds.)

Search this Thread