98 Dodge Ram torque converter question

Old 11-13-14, 04:32 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
98 Dodge Ram torque converter question

I have a 98 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4, 360 with auto tranny 4 speed, or 3 with overdrive. Not sure of the correct terminology with it. Has around 180,000 miles. Tranny is supposed to be a rebuilt with low mileage.

So, what happened is this. Tranny has been working great with no problems at all. I hauled a heavy load for around 50 miles or so. Truck shifted great, no issues, though the OD light came on for awhile, then went off.

Later that night, went into town, and shortly after leaving the house there was a noise that I can only describe as when you drive an old truck down a washboard road, Or maybe dragging a set of keys across an actual washboard. I thought at first that I had run something over in the road. Then a short while later it happened again.

Now it is a pretty steady noise. Driving down the road and most every time I step on the gas it wants to make that noise. If I let off the gas, give it a second or so and then step on the gas hard, it will downshift and not make the noise.

All fluids are good. I have been told that this is the torque converter locking up or not locking up or trying to lock up. Something to do with the torque converter. Is there anyone here who has had this issue or can give me a direction to look?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am also posting another question about a Dakota transmission issue. Please look at that too!

Old 11-14-14, 02:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
How does your 4wd engage? Electronically or manually? It could be the transfer case is trying to engage. Vacuum lines do deteriorate and can cause that phenomenon.

Old 11-14-14, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Does it do this in both 2wd and 4wd?
You would do well to carefully inspect the universal joints on the trans-axle and drive-line.

Old 11-14-14, 03:57 PM
G
First of all, thanks for the replies. The four wheel drive is a manual shift. The u-joints are all good and tight. I just greased them all this fall.

It doesn't seem to do it in four wheel drive. My wife drove the truck about twenty miles or so this week when we had our snowstorm and she said it never made the noise once.

I've heard things about putting a toggle switch in so the converter can be controlled manually, but it sounds kind of bs'y to me.

Old 11-15-14, 04:34 AM
My Ram is manual so I don't know that much about the operation of the automatic. Is there not a button for OD lock out already built in? Most vehicles have that feature.

Old 11-15-14, 05:09 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Dodge Ram

As chandler has stated, there is an overdrive lock out feature. My '97 Ram had it, but I do not remember where the lock out was located.

Old 11-18-14, 02:53 PM
G
It doesn't seem to be the overdrive that is locking/unlocking. I was told it was the torque converter that was the issue. Thanks for the responses!

Old 11-18-14, 03:27 PM
Overdrive is in essence the torque converter locking up.

Old 11-19-14, 08:46 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing the slip in the torque converter is not overdrive. There may be issues that are preventing the proper lockup of the converter and I have heard some make a lot of noise as they were trying to lock up. Usually a slight brake application will cut out the converter so try lightly hitting the brake when the noise is there while keeping a steady throttle.

Old 11-19-14, 04:02 PM
Maybe not "overdrive", but final drive lock up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: