Onan Genset Problem

Old 12-23-14, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Onan Genset Problem

I have a 4KW Onan Genset that will not start. I tried to start it from inside my rig, but I could hear was a clicking sound. I got to the unit itself, and tried there. The solenoid was doing the chattering. Do I have to replace it ?
dinky

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-14, 07:22 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Sounds like your battery is weak. Check the voltage and if less than 12V charge or replace it.
If that is not the problem, then clean all battery cables (both ends) and try again.

RR

Old 12-23-14, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Since the genset is in a motorhome it most likely will use the vehicle battery. That will require you to check the battery cable where the house/starting batteries are located. Most of the time it's caused by the connection at the battery end.

Old 12-26-14, 07:57 AM
Hiya Guys, I hope you all had a great Christmas. I checked both my house and vehicle batteries, and the y all were fully charged. I'm thinking it's my solenoid itself. Back in my younger days, I had some problems with the solenoid on my older Chevy that had a solenoid on the starter itself. I remember taking it apart and flipping the bolts and large washer over so it would get better contacts. This solenoid kind of looks like one from a Ford. I'm going to remove it today and take it to my local parts store. I'll let you all know what I've found out.

Old 09-02-16, 09:15 PM
I
Hello Dinky, I know it's been a few years since you posted your question. I'm having the same issue with my onboard generator. It's the same kind as yours. So, I was wondering if you got yours working and if so, what was the issue?